Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have my pump apart and was looking at where to start carving but i'm not sure whether or not i should widen the hole to the pickup as well. it looks like it flows decent already, and i can't help but think that turning it into an oval will cause a significant pressure drop. even without a downside i'm not really convinced that that part of the pump is even maxing out to require extra flow space so i'm just wondering if anyone who is using a pump ported as such has noticed significant positives or negatives of doing so?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
it would be good to create a pressure drop in the intake.....

shimming an oil pump is adding a "shim" to increase the tension put on the internal check valve in the oil pump, giving you higher peak pressure.

sounds like ur talking about porting a pump

·
Registered
838 Posts
I was wondering the same thing also. Is porting and shimming a z6 oil pump really neccessary. Does porting the pump really increase the flow? or does it effect volume? I was thinking the gears determine the how much quarts it can pump. If that was the case people would be porting there ls pumps instead of using a vtec oil pump for there ls/vtecs-b20vtecs..

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
i have my pump apart and was looking at where to start carving but i'm not sure whether or not i should widen the hole to the pickup as well. it looks like it flows decent already, and i can't help but think that turning it into an oval will cause a significant pressure drop. even without a downside i'm not really convinced that that part of the pump is even maxing out to require extra flow space so i'm just wondering if anyone who is using a pump shimmed as such has noticed significant positives or negatives of doing so?
read, before you ruin your pump

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94973&highlight=oil+pump

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great info, thanks guys! i'm not too worried about wrecking it on my first attempt, i found an old pump to mess up real good :)

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Just don't try to Devcon a used pump. The adhesive is not likely to stick as well, as aluminum is highly porous and a good bond can not be assured, especially when dealing with a hot, oily, pressurized environment INSIDE the pump.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
The Y8 pump has several restrictions, when eliminated, should provide more than adequate performance. This has yet to be tested, though. However, Rushi is working on that. We'll find out eventually.

If you have a Y-series block, or a D17, you must use a Y-series pump or add a dipstick tube to the block somehow.

·
Registered
My Car
171 Posts
The Y8 pump has several restrictions, when eliminated, should provide more than adequate performance. This has yet to be tested, though. However, Rushi is working on that. We'll find out eventually.

If you have a Y-series block, or a D17, you must use a Y-series pump or add a dipstick tube to the block somehow.
Ok, i got that. But what about the z6? Is it tried and true from the factory and can handle itself, or do you need to shim/port it??? This is valuable info, since i'm about to put my engine together shortly.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Ok, i got that. But what about the z6? Is it tried and true from the factory and can handle itself, or do you need to shim/port it??? This is valuable info, since i'm about to put my engine together shortly.
z6 pump has been proven to be the best of them all, and most run them stock on there high hp engines.

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Once they are ported, I personally don't think shimming is neccessary, especially on a good original design like the Z6 pump. So, if you port a Z6 and go so far as to Devcon the outlet, it should be good to go. Running too much oil pressure is not a good thing, either. Volume of oil is more important as long as a minimum pressure is maintained (and what that minimum is depends on lots of things like bearing clearances and the upper RPm range of the engine).

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no worries with the devcon, i'd be wary of using any epoxy in a device that will pump hot oil for years. gonna start dremeling my throwaway pump after lunch... hopefully the dremel bits have good bite, will post pics for yall to laugh at :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts