Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT
2003 Civic Si
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant seem to figure out how to remove the engine from the car. Anyone got a write up? I did a swap before with the help of a friend but i was not around when he pulled his motor so im stuck.

Im just waiting for a hoist imma borrow to remove my motor and install the new one. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
are u planning on keeping ur old motor and trans? all i did was disconnect the harness and then unbolted the mounts and lowered it(with a jack) through the bottom of the car. you can also use a cherry picker(engine hoist) and pull it through the top if u would like. ive heard its easier to pull it out through the top but every time ive done it, its been through the bottom. i dont think its that hard just make sure u have all tools near you, it will make the whole thing go alot smoother.

edit: i can make a mini write up if u need it.

·
DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT
2003 Civic Si
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm only gonna need the trans, Might sell it later on

·
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
keeping the trans wont be a problem. i just got done swapping my motor out like last week. i just undid all the wires and everything from them motor. put the car on jack stands. removed the axles(removed the ball joint) put a jack under the motor and then unbolted the motor mounts. after everything was ready to be dropped i lowered the jack down slowly. after it was all the way down just slide the motor out through the botom. now some ppl say its easier to take the whole swap out through the top but i havent had any problems doint it through the botom. if u have any questions let me know.

·
DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT
2003 Civic Si
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how high did you have your car off the ground? LOL Must of been high since you slid the motor from below

·
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
not really just put the jack stands and if i needed it higher i would just lift the car up one notch at a time. each time i do it, it gets alot easier

·
DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT
2003 Civic Si
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he's ghetto like that :p

i just use a hoist. unbolt the mounts, remove fuel line, throttle cable, pull main harness plugs, and yank it out :TU:
mounting points?

·
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
after you do wat ryan said you just unbolt the motor mounts and then either lift like he does or drop it like i do. either way is up to you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
what i usually do is take out the tranny first and slide it out from underneath and then pull the longblock from the top, gives a lot of room to pull the motor out.

since i dont have a lift for my car, i pull the motor out from the top.

and yea, you gotta take out the axles, wiring, motormounts, fuel line, etc before you pull the motor out.

·
DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT
2003 Civic Si
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
upper driverside mount, passenger side top trans mount, rear tranny mount, front tranny mount.

they're easy to find, just look around the bay a bit
thanks

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
fly me out there and back and ill do tfor you
he he he

seriously though jst go slow dont rush and make sure youve got everyhing unhooked
basically
unhook the batt
unhook the fuel line from the filter or the fuel rail after you releive pressure
unhook the vacuum lines that connect from the body to the intake and from the brake master to the intake
then start unplugging the wirign, start at the starter and just unplug everything, unhook the three connectiors at the drivers side fender and start feeding the harness through to the pass side then flop it over the fender
unhook the 3 or so grounds that go from the body to the motor or tranny
undo the shift linkage from the transmission under neath
unbolt the one bolt 12mm head and then pull the clip off and use a 5/16 drill bit to drive the pin out
remove the radiator and fan assy
remove the exhause manifold
unhook the clutch line or unbolt the slave and flop it out of the way, dont bend the metal part of the line
drain the transmission
unhook both outer tie rod ends and lower ball joints, after you take off the wheels of course
pop the cvs out of the transmission and support them, no need to remove them from the spindles
unbolt the through bolt on the back mount, then remove the three attaching bolts and shimmy that mount out of the way
attach your lifting chain, i like to go around the drivers mount and then hook to one of the solid looking transmission brackets on top of the transmission, the one i use i beleive holds the clutch line, you should remove the distributor to prevent possible damage
attach your hoist to the lifting chain and lift until the chain is slightly tight
remove the three to four bolts attacching the bracked to the front of the engine below the exhaust manifold
do the same to the one on the front of the transmission, you can leave them both hanging in the body brackets they are in
at this point you should only have the two side mounts keeping you from removing the engine/trans assy
make sure you have adequate tension on the hoist
remove one of those last two bolts and then the other
begin lifting the motor out, you will likely need someone to run the hoist while you guide the assy out
lift up so it is about 4-6 inches above its mounting location and do a double check for any wiring that may have been mistakenly left attached
slide under and make sure you are free of the cv shafts and anything else
if it all checks out continue lifting and guiding and before you know it you will have the engine out

that is for an eg, efs are very slightly different as they have one mount directly in the middle of the front instead of two on either side

i can post this in another thread too with possible stickiness in the future

·
DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT
2003 Civic Si
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^^^ Woot woot thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts