Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1993 Del Sol with a d16z6 and I'm pulling the engine in order to rebuild it(most likely going turbo)...this is my first pull and rebuild and I'm just wondering if it's possible to pull just the engine with out the trans or is it just easier to pull it all together?...thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
pull it all together. muh easier. seperating the trans in the ebay sucks. gotta swing the motor down to do it. just unplug the whole engine. disconnect the exhaust/fuel/coolant. and yank it up and out. took me about 4 hours to drop my crx motor, drop my 90 si motor and put the rex motor into back into the si. with the help of a few friends. the hardest part i find is disconnecting the suspension parts to free the axles.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
I found it easier to separate the tranny in the bay in my EK and I didn't have to swing the motor down. I had to separate it anyways to swap in another bottom end. First I removed the cylinder head and then unbolt everything like you would pull the whole engine. But then you just lower the tranny to the ground. Then I removed lowered the block to the ground with the car jacked up high and slid it out from underneath so no need for a hoist.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Pull it together.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The only thing I would say, is putting the tranny back on the engine with out a engine stand sucks if your doing it alone! pull it out together, and find a friend to give you a hand.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
depending on what youre doing during the "rebuild", you could choose to do it in the car. For instance: If youre just doing new rings or something, its not too bad to just do it in the car.

·
Registered
98 coupe
223 Posts
+1 on pulling out the whole thing. Disconnect harness, drain fluids, support eng/trans with hoist, disconnect mounts & linkage, and yank it out!

It will be a lot easier than you think. I label every electrical connector just to make it easier to install and less likely to mix something up. Good luck and take PICS!!!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
taking the trans off in the e-bay isn't bad; but putting it back ON in the e-bay sucks IMO. When we put in my vitara motor we put the short block in the ebay, bolts the trans on, connected the mounts, then put on the head. But we didn't have a hoist (just me and a buddy....in a parking lot) took us 9 hours to go from NOTHING to running (hand tools, in a parking lot, just 2 guys, etc)

if you have a hoist; pull the engine and trans together; it's easier to get it back together outside of the car

·
Registered
1997 Civic EX 4dr
67 Posts
Agreed...pull it all as one. How are you pulling it? Do you have access toa cherry picker or are you doing it another way? I mean D's arent exactly heavy so 2 people can do it. Well thats how we pulled my friends D.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
I pulled it apart in the bay with the help of my 11 year old daughter who just raised and lowered a jack. I found it easier to remove and install the flywheel with the block in the car and the tranny off. It's held in place nicely by the motor mounts and you can do it on an engine stand.

Granted if you were gonna to a complete long block & tranny swap it's best to yank the whole thing. But if you're doing a rebuild you might as well disassemble it in the bay.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
+1 on pulling out the whole thing. Disconnect harness, drain fluids, support eng/trans with hoist, disconnect mounts & linkage, and yank it out!

It will be a lot easier than you think. I label every electrical connector just to make it easier to install and less likely to mix something up. Good luck and take PICS!!!
i do the ghetto lable, put 1 yellow dot on the male/famale side, then the next connector i put two yellow dots on the male/female, then 3 dots for the next one, etc. works great for vac lines.

edit: dont forget OP; you always have the option of dropping the motor out the bottom jacking up the car and sliding it out. (a bit more work but doesnt require anyones help or a hoist)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I pulled it all out together over the weekend and got it mounted up on my engine stand...thanks for al the advice guys and keep a look out for a build thread

·
Registered
646 Posts
Pulling them together will make life much much easier. IMO it will be easier to separate and put back together out of the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts