Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i pulled the threads in my head due to a faulty torque wrench. a machine shop told me(without looking at it) that i should helicoil it. if i helicoil it... would i have to get bigger head bolts? and if so where can i get some ARP?

94 ex... d16z6 head.d16a block

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
couldnt the shop thats gonna fix it tell you that?

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,664 Posts
I've used Helicoil inserts on the exhaust manifold head studs.

Keep in mind that you don't just screw in these inserts. You have to drill out the old threads, retap the hole, and then screw in the inserts. You really gotta make sure you drill it out straight though, otherwise your bolt will go in slightly crooked or may not line up right. They are a good product though - if you do it right then everything is as good as new.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
What threads are you talking about? If you are threads in the block that hold the head down, then i'm not to sure i would trust a helicoil insert. If you are talking about exhaust or intake studs then it should be fine. Just trying to clear up what you are actually asking...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Actually if installed right, Heil-Coils are stronger than the aluminum origionally. I'd have a shop with a drill press and experiance do it, if you put one in slightly off your going to have probelms when you put it all together. That and if they fuck it up it's not your probelm.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Helicoils work FREAKING awesome... it will be better than stock. Just make sure to get a good torque wrench this time :)

Rich
they work awesome on most things, if use correctly. theres alot of things they dont work for, and not everyone will install them correctly. thats why timcert makes a kit for the different honda blocks. its MADE for this exact thing, not some universal stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts