Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just traded my a6 head for a y8 head whats the best parts about the head and the bads about the head its stock just started porting it today.

why do people choose the z6 head over the y8 head?
is there a way to make the head better?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
the intake runners arent as good as a z6 but the combustion chamber has a better quench area. some well thought out porting will help a y8 breath just as good as a z6 IMO. also. please don't run P29's with this head. it's a huge no-no! this head like to push the combustion to the center whereas the p29 likes to split the combustion and push it back to the sides. also. please don't hog out your ports as this has no real effects on increasing HP and may actually hurt it. GL

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Pro- Quench.
Cons-uneven runners are harder to port correctl
-VTEC
True that. You can wield in material on a z6 to reshape it to mimmic the y8 combustion chamber. Saw this done to a b series head. Never heard of issues with it.

Once the material is wielded in, grind it to the desired shape then re-mill the head to make it flat and boom y8 cc

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
I prefer the idea of milling the head vs. welding in quench pads. Lowers the port roof and increases compression too!

This is rushi's:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I totally agree. That's easily 800-1000 bucks to get done. Unless you know someone who can do it on the cheap. My only concern with whacking the head that much is clearance issues by having the head that close. But a cheap alternative for sure.

Those are huge intake valves!!

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Well of course the valves will be closer; but it also helps deshroud the valves(better flow).

That head still looks deeper than a CBR1000RR head(which has similar sized valves and pistons to our D-series):

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Good point. Just dif options. But I could see a eagle vitara setup with the head milled that much making some great power.

Be interesting to see someone get that head custom made to fit a d

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what do i need to port?
and its a vitara build so it will be low comp. and cam will be a delta 272-2 regrind

·
Registered
290 Posts
Other advantage for the Y8 is better fuel economy, can match more dizzys to it without modding and supposedly better low end power.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im going to use y8 then and i can always shave the rockers lol jk but i started porting today pulled the valves out then my dremal motor went out FML

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.