Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 hatch
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a propane torch thing from walmart because i was bored and decided to melt mountain dew bottles. yea im' bored, i dont have my engine back from the shop yet = \ .

Anyways i got to thinking. Logworks shows propane's afr. . well, i guess apr to be 15.5 or something so thats .8 higher than regular fuel.

What would it take to convert it from regular fuel to propane?

Sorry guys, i'm drunk and really bored right now.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
a propane injector in the intake plumbing... at least thats all it takes for a carburetored smallblock theres probably more to it than that but its not that complicated i dont think

·
Registered
639 Posts
One of our fork lifts at work has a... get this.. 4 cyl gm VORTEC engine that runs on LPG. First time I have seen a 4 cyl VORTEC engine.. But yah it is as crappy as expected.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Your better off getting a D16B5 CNG(Compressed Natural Gas) engine from a GX Civic and convert that to LPG(Liquefied petroleum gas).

·
Registered
My SI!
258 Posts
I know when i went to Dominican Republic they had alot of civics running on propane. Not sure how they did this but its def worth it for them. Gas is like 7 dollars a gallon.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know when i went to Dominican Republic they had alot of civics running on propane. Not sure how they did this but its def worth it for them. Gas is like 7 dollars a gallon.
thats where im from...
propane is close to 100octane
and found everywhere
....boost+100octane=:wackit::wackit::wackit::wackit:

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Pure propane is over 110 octane but low in energy value.

CNG is even higher octane but cannot realistically be liquefied so tanks need to be huge or real heavy for real high pressure.

Here is is 1/3 the price of 98 octane pump petrol.

You can get 3 basic styles of conversion

1) An evaporator and mixer. The mixer replaces the carby.

2) A gas injection system where you have an evaporator and gas injection nozzles which inject it in gas form.

3) A liquid injection system where LPG special injectors are put in place of the std injectors. The fuel drops literally boil as they leave the nozzles. Petrol or diesel injectors definitely DO NOT WORK and do cause explosions. You need special purpose injectors. They are hard to get and very expensive but it is the most compact highest performance easiest to fit system. It also needs an in tank pump to keep enough pressure in the lines to keep it liquid. The gas injection systems just use gas vapour pressure to supply to the evaporator.

Even with gas injection, the pressure in the tank and lines is typically 150 psi and can go as high as 300 psi on a hot day. It is quite a small molecule and will leak out spaces or through materials that hold petrol no problem at all.

For instance you need a special GAS grade of Teflon tape to get an effective thread seal.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
In my opinion it is actually safer than petrol because the tanks and lines are so much stronger and there are much stricter design rules re safety devices. For instance each tank must have a high flow shut off valve so if a line bursts, the valve closes at the tank. Also it is made to smell realbad so you know if you have even a small leak.

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Pssh, not news for me,my 98 k1500 Mexican model runs on Propane. I paid like 5,000 pesos parts and labor to get it done and its like 3.00 pesos a liter. It also has the 5.3 vortec

Not really worth it since they seem to lose power and petrol is maybe .50 less the liter. fleets seem to love this stuff there

I'd take pics but the truck is 1,500 miles away being used by my dad lol

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
i work on propane fired trucks as gm has allowed there 8.1L big block to be used on propane but the conversion is only certified to two companies Clean Fuel USA and Bi-Phase which is owned by Schwann's and only used on there trucks. Clean Fuel is in texas and i got to know the folks there really well and one of there engineers has a crx hf that he is designing a system for as we speak. as pat said there a lpg specific injectors used for the use of the propane, and the propane is i believe 109 octane and has a very nerrow burn window so injection timing and ign timing are very important and very touchy for proper combustion which also make it very detination resistant cause of the nerrow burn window. the hardest thing with propane is keeping it a constant specific pressure to the injector as the ambient temperature greatly affect tank pressure there for creating either excesssivly high tank pressure or low tank pressure, also the propane is very prone to heat soak and turning into vapor instead of liquid. a efi lpg system may seem simple but is actually very complex with multiple regulators and solenoid controled at different times to keep pressure consistant

·
Registered
1989 Honda CRX
246 Posts
I have about 3 friends that are running their mudding toyos on propane. it's a pretty sweet deal. They smell funny, but you can run the propane in the system for like 2 minutes then shut the valve off and the truck still runs for like another 10 minutes on the remaining propane in the lines. They have spent out a great deal of money, but it's well worth it in the long run.

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
So i bought a propane torch thing from walmart because i was bored and decided to melt mountain dew bottles. yea im' bored, i dont have my engine back from the shop yet = \ .

Anyways i got to thinking. Logworks shows propane's afr. . well, i guess apr to be 15.5 or something so thats .8 higher than regular fuel.

What would it take to convert it from regular fuel to propane?

Sorry guys, i'm drunk and really bored right now.
Don't appologize. Honda already makes Natural Gas cars in the form of Civic Gx.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Dan

I have the sources. I will dig it out and post or PM it to you when I get back home next week

1 - 20 of 30 Posts