Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project Datsun 510 that is. Now before you get all pissy, I know this a Honda forum, and a Dseries one specifically. However, I have grown to enjoy my D-series community and the 510 forum has a tendency to be very hmm how can i put it.. well they are all old white guys who can afford to spend lots of cash on baller parts, or can build them themselves.. so the response to seeing a hacked up 510 is not usually that great. Fuck them anyways, cuz my car is gonna from the pile it is now, to something amazing haha.. Anyways since I FINALLY landed a great job, I can afford to put decent money into it.

So be honored, I have waited 3 1/2 years to start this project, and I am unveiling her here.

So here she was the day I bought her. Yes I bought it that way.. I found her on Craigslist, she was posted for a whole 33 minutes. $2700 bux and I brought a new 32/36 weber and she drove home. Skateboard wheel shiftknob and all.

Prelude seats

Aftermarket fuel tank in spare tire well

There were sooo many parts painted that horrible teal color I removed almsot all the stuff I could before I even drove it.

First job was too get rid of ass much of the teal as I could as soon as I could. Before:

After:

No more teal on the Libre copies either..

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
that is sick man i've always wanted to build one of those since i was like 13 lol.

i've seen alot with sr20 swaps but i always thought it would be cool to drop a s2k swap in it

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car was a wiring nightmare... a buddy of mine helped out with a quick relay setup to run my headlights normally so that was good..

One bad tailight housing.. no big deall a new NOS set is only $375 EACH!

So here is the pic i have posted on ehre before.. How she sat.. this was actually taken the day she stopped running.. I almost got stuck on the Bay Bridge..

So plans were to be made about how I would fix her. First it was Ka24de.. then SR20det.. then 13b.. HAHA not. Then it was KA no no wait SR .. nooo KA is better.. NO SR ..

Then I lost a job here and htere.. had to move.. went back school etc etc life sucked.. and 2 years later.. we finally get to 2007.

So by this time, I met a few friends who started getting into cars, we al gt pretty involvved in autoX and track racing.. and all wanted to build cars. My 2 friends are mazda freaks like I was so they both have 1st gen Rx7's and are building time attack and autoX cars, so the journey began. I planned to build the car to run on track in a group of other classics liek Datsuns porsche and Rx7's

So first was the cage

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ok so now fast forward to today. I finally have a schedule for the door bars to be added. The front end is gonna get all the seams welded so the 70's spot welds dont rip apart as I tear across the track, and shell be painted.

I have stripped almsot everything off the car.. all thats left is what can turn the car and let her roll... I hav a bit of work to do still till shes capapable of being painted. Lots of surface rust to remove.

Engine bay almost empty, more stuff to remove still... also have to grind away all paint on all seems so they can be welded. FUN!

Got a good start on removing all the sound material dirt and random shit from the floor pans. I think im at like 25 lbs so far. Ill weight it out and post the official number. Its crazy!

The retarded previous owner hacked the rear deck up to fit 6x9 speakers. I plan on cutting out the fucked up part.. replacing the sheet metal and welding it in there nice before paint

So for now thats where I am at. Plans are as follows

2 - 4 weeks

- finish cage
- weld seems on front end
- paint/body work to be completed

Ill update as I buy parts, get work done etc etc
I cant even begin to explain how happy i am to be finally wrking on her.

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and one last pic..

Sorry to my would be White Hatch Club members but I will not be purchasing a 3rd hatchback. This will be the new ride come January. I already got wheels for it.. It has 64K original miles 8 track still works and when I buff her out the original paint is gonna SHIIIINE

·
Registered
3 Posts
put a rotary in there!!!! Team PR has like 5 of those datsuns with rotaries and HUGE turbos with nitrous running low 9's high 8's all day! o and put a mustang rear in that girl

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
put a rotary in there!!!! Team PR has like 5 of those datsuns with rotaries and HUGE turbos with nitrous running low 9's high 8's all day! o and put a mustang rear in that girl
wow uhm no. HAHA I am not a drag race junkie.. and the rotary idea is cool, but only nissan parts for this car thx.

Thx guys, yea the car was a blast to drive stock and all of the 96 chp she had. At 150 - 180 whp at 1800 lbs shell be even more exciting! Updates will hopefully be every friday as my days off are either tuesday and thursday or weds. and thursday.. so yea.. should be sick.

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, like i mentioned before. I have to cut part of the rear area, wanna clean up the sheet metal and replace it with a new place. I could use some suggestions on what to cut it with. I have an angle grinder, but at the hardware store didnt see any specific cutting discs that I can use ON the angle grinder. If anyone has some pics of what they would reccomend.. its like 1/16 sheet metal, its thin enough to get at with tin snips, but its a shit ton of work. So what would yall use?

You can see the stuff I am gonna remove, everything inside the sharpee outline haha

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
More random pics of work done previously:

Stripping more paint

Forgot to post a pic of the tired L16 ohc engine:

This is what will be replacing it. Once the car is ready fo coarse..
Troy Ermish in Fremont is the shit, I love the fact that one of the best guys for 510's is local to me. How freakin sweet is that.

This is a 1.8 ohc (ya still in the sohc club) with dual carbs and some other of Troys handy work I am sure. I am staying L series, with the intention of being able to race the car in a specific class so thats wy I ditched the KA or SR ideas

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
gl with the build man, i'll check back for updates...i need to get pics of my little mg project up on here, its in about the same shape as ur 510 is, so were in the same boat except im in need of a good job, haha.....nice car

1 - 20 of 80 Posts