Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i just bought and installed a new set of projector headlights for my civic. but i've got issues. for some dumb reason, i thought they would project beams like an HID conversion. but they dont. instead, there are beams every where. the main beams come from the bulbs and light the middle of the road, while there are less brighter beams that light up everywhere else (maybe because light's reflecting off the chrome housing?) and it makes it look like there are gaps in my lighting system. i'm not sure if its supposed to look like this or what? but now, i'm starting to feel like it was a waste of my $$$. someone explain to me why this is happening.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I dont have an explaination really, but maybe just get brighter bulbs. I have a set of projectors and they came with 55watt bulbs, but i bought "off road only" 100w bulbs and put them in. It works alot better with the brighter bulbs. P.S. Projectors seem to suck in the rain... they reflect off the road instead of lighting it up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Top Aussie said:
projectors r shit, i have em ages ago. vison is shit!! :TD:
i disagree!!! I have tyc projectors on mine and now i can see!!! they are just more focused in a smaller area

perhaps you have some real cheapies and they suck, maybe adjust where the beams project, dont know what to tell ya

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got TYCs the real shit with the card :)
280$ but they look like HIDs (seriously) straight line cutoff and even light everywhere.. you get what you pay for

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i would have to say the same i have tyc on my 95si and the light output is way better then stock and with the right bulbs they can be even better and i only paind 215$

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have TYC coupe lights on my sedan.... and they suck. eventually i will sell these and get regular HIDs on my stock headlights - thats the setup i had on my last car, and it worked better than the "projector" aftermarket headlights.

this is just another case of a regular company cheaping down the product... in the old VW scene, a set of Hella projector headlights was around 500 bucks, but they were true projectors.

now you can buy these TYC and APC projector headlights (not to mention the generic "halo" ones) for under $150..... these aren't true projector headlights, just headlights with projector lenses and 55w bulbs.

so yeah, either do the 100w upgrade, or spend your money on an actual HID kit that retro fits with your stock headlights.

·
Registered
321 Posts
also alot of people say its good to have the aftermarket projectors to retro fit the audi or bmw projectors. just did some searching on the web thanks to this thread

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
civic2thaflo said:
also alot of people say its good to have the aftermarket projectors to retro fit the audi or bmw projectors. just did some searching on the web thanks to this thread
that's what I'm doing as soon as I get the money to buy the projectors.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
what tyc projectors have you seen for 150 and mine have a super clean cutoff and are bright as hell because i have silverstar light bulbs on ebay then you have to pay shipping i guess maybe you just got a sucky pair of lights and i hope you know you can adjust the lens and the cutoff on the projectors most people dont know that

·
Registered
321 Posts
its just too bad they don't make anything for 4drs

·
Registered
447 Posts
The only good comapny who cares about the way their projector headlights shine is TYC. Their one-piece headlights are projector and surpass the quality of light of any other one piece projector for the Civic's.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have projectors on my 2000 civic and their shit, my vision is very horrible and the light just goes in all directions and at the ground. The brand is Generation 3 i think. I have some scratches on the casing so i think thats why they dont work very well.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For anyone in NORCAL, You can get 10k HIDs for about $375, and they r an improvement over the projectors, in my opinion.

·
Registered
321 Posts
http://www.hidplanet.com/main.html

this is a good site for true hid projectors to just swap out the old, they also have lots of info on installation of the retro kits.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
love my projectors, just make sure you adjust them or they will shine everywhere, with mine i can see ten times better i love it.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
IMO use tyc projectors with both the high and low beam piaa bulbs.

h3's:
USA - http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H3.html
Japan - http://www.optionsauto.com/products.asp?dept=346

h1's
USA - http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H1.html
Japan - http://www.optionsauto.com/products.asp?dept=347

i had a set of the old school denji projectors which took an h3 low and h1 high. i ran piaa super plasma h3's and picked up a set of super plasma h1 from ebay (the h1 SP's were only available from japan thru importers like options auto, ICB Motorsport, etc.). everyone swore my projectors looked just like hid's. the high beams were non-projector open face style like the tyc's and were insanely bright. they were like hid headlights from a 2002 TL :TU:

i have always liked piaa bulbs and run them all the time. reason is even though the power consumption rating for the bulb is say 55W, the light output would be like 80-90W equivalent. so you get the bright light without the massive power draw of large wattage bulbs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts