Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone.

It's been a couple of years since I bought my 1993 Honda Civic del Sol Si. It's gone through a number of changes. I've posted throughout the process on this website but I decided that now is as good a time as any to put everything in one post.

In 2012 it was a stock d16z6 automatic transmission del Sol Si with lowering springs and a short-ram intake. The car was in mint condition and only had 150,000 original kms (~93,000 miles). I decided almost immediately that it needed to change. The process began in the spring of 2013.

Each item that has gone into and onto the car was thoroughly researched by myself. I will credit d-series.org for almost ALL of the information I found. This website has been invaluable.

I love this car.

Suspension:
- Skunk2 Pro-S V2 coil-overs: 10K front, 8K rear springs
- Buddy Club extended ball joints
- Skunk2 Pro-Series camber adjusters
- Skunk2 Black Series lower control arms with red polyurethane bushings
- Black BWR sub-frame brace
- BEAKS 22mm Integra Type-R sway bar
- unknown manufacturer upper strut bar

Rims/Tires (track):
- 15" bronze Rota Circuit 10
- BF Goodrich Rival 205/50/15 front and back

Brakes:
- DC2 front knuckles/spindles
- Re-drilled Brembo blank 11.1" Prelude SR-V rotors
- Integra Type-R calipers
- Hawk HP+ pads front
- Hawk HPS rear
- Russell braided stainless-steel brake lines
- 1" Integra Type-R master cylinder and booster

Transmission:
- S40 B000 5-speed (Japan)
- Quaife LSD
- Skunk2 gun-metal Type-R shift knob
- Exedy Pro Kit clutch
- 11.4lbs Competition Clutch flywheel
- ARP flywheel bolts
- Innovative Mounts Auto-Manual transmission mount (red 60A polyurethan)

Engine Block:
- d16z6
- resurfaced 0.004", rebuilt (Top-Line gasket kit)
- bored to 75.5mm
- P29 pistons (Nippon Racing) - 75.5mm
- NPR piston rings
- ACL race bearings
- ARP rod bolts
- crank journals resurfaced
- miscellaneous parts (i.e. water pump, belts, etc) all Honda OEM
- Innovative Mounts engine and transmission mounts (black 75 A polyurethane)

Engine Head:
- d16z6 head
- resurfaced 0.004"
- Bisi level 2 camshaft
- AEM Tru-Time camshaft gear
- ARP head studs
- Nippon Racing 75.5mm MLS head gasket
- NGK Iridium IX (BKR7EIX)
- d16y8 intake manifold - ported to 60mm and polished inlet and runner outlets
- 58mm d16z6 throttle body with KMS FITV block-off plate (60mm b18 planned)
- generic CAI with K&N filter

Exhaust:
- Megan Racing 4-2-1 header
- Magnaflow high-flow catalytic converter
- Tanabe Medalion 2.25" exhaust

Engine Management:
- P06 chipped
- Tuned on Crome

Other:
- Mishimoto aluminum radiator
- B&M Fuel pressure gauge

Here are some pics from when the suspension, transmission and brakes were done in 2013:

Targa Top On:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Brembo 11.1" Prelude SR-V rotors (re-drilled 4x100), ITR caliper, Hawk HP+ front pads:

Skunk2 Black Series lower control arms, BWR black subframe brace, BEAKS 22mm Integra Type-R sway bar, Skunk2 Pro-S V2 coil-overs:

Skunk2 Pro-Series camber adjuster:

Buddy Club extended ball joints (roll centre adjusters) - the rubbing has long since been resolved:

Skunk2 Shifter Knob for the 5-speed S40B000 with Quaife LSD, Exedy Pro Kit clutch and Competition Clutch 11.4lbs flywheel:

My old 1996 Honda Civic Si:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here are a few shots of the engine build process this year.

Empty engine bay:

Car in the air:

A few of the parts (note the box says STD but the top of the piston has 0.50 stamped on it):

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Honda bag o'goodies!

Intake Manifold - P/P to 60mm
Inlet:

Outlets:

Block with 75.5mm P29 pistons

Head with AEM cam-gear

Block with ARP head bolts and head gasket

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
Im sure you know all about the nightmares of that cam gear. not trying to send bad ju-ju that way

but it is purty.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Looks good on the move dude, nice work on bringing her along.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im sure you know all about the nightmares of that cam gear. not trying to send bad ju-ju that way
Haha! Keep the ju-ju!

Yeah I've seen a few posts and read a few things about that cam-gear. I have plans for a head build for next year. I have the spare head that will be getting a P/P, new valve train, possibly new valves. Not sure what camshaft to go with yet but I may look into a custom grind. That will also include a new and better cam-gear.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts
How do you like the Buddy club ball joints?

Did they really help?

I have a set installed, but car will not be driving for at least 5mo. working on other systems.

Curious on your thought on those for road course work.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
How do you like the Buddy club ball joints?

Did they really help?

I have a set installed, but car will not be driving for at least 5mo. working on other systems.

Curious on your thought on those for road course work.
To be perfectly honest with you, I can't say for certain what difference they've made because I never ran the car on the track prior to their installation. What I can tell you is that with the current set up, which includes the extended ball joints, the car remains extremely well planted to the track even during high-speed cornering.

So if you're asking whether or not you should use them, my bias would be towards yes. You already have them installed so you might as well use them.

Not Buddy Club but some info:
Megan Racing

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Nice set up. Makes me miss my Del Sol, even as heavy as they are it is still a blast to drive and take the top off. I take it that you leave it on during race day.
It amazes people when I tell them that the car is actually heavier than my old EK coupe given the relatively small size of it.

Yes. I leave the roof on. It adds to the chassis rigidity and reduces flexion during cornering. Although it would be sweet to run with the roof off like those Miata and S2000 guys...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Out of curiosity, why didnt you keep the 96 Si as a track car? It would be a much better performance platform imo.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Out of curiosity, why didnt you keep the 96 Si as a track car? It would be a much better performance platform imo.
Hi Joel.

There are a few reasons why I decided to sell the EK. The main reason is that I didn't have the parking space for it. My wife and I were living in a loft in Uptown (Yonge and Eglinton) Toronto at the time. We only had one parking space and were renting the second in our building for our two cars. A third space was unavailable and parking anywhere else in the neighbourhood would have been extremely expensive. Since going rural we had more than enough space and the del Sol lives in the garage.

The other reason is that the del Sol was in mint condition with only 152,000km's original while the EK had almost 400,000km on the body and transmission. The motor was rebuilt with 90,000km up until the time I sold it. I put this thread up back in 2012 when I first made the change.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/161807-new-93-del-sol-old-96-civic-si.html

Another reason is that there is no shortage of EG's and EK's at the track. How often do you see a del Sol? Almost never! Eventually when I cage the interior and make it a dedicated track car (take it off the road) I can run it without the roof! F*** those Miata and S2000 guys!!

To be honest, I find the handling performance of the del Sol better than the EK. The EK had virtually the same suspension set-up and I find the del Sol feels crisper. Perhaps the dimensions have something to do with it:

Wheelbase: del Sol 93.3" vs EK 103.2"
Length: del Sol 157.6" vs EK 164.5"
Width: del Sol 66.7" vs EK 67.1"
Height: del Sol 49.4" vs EK 54.1"
Curb Weight: del Sol 2295lbs (pre-ABS) vs EK 2519lbs
(Stats courtesy of Wikipedia. Because everything on the internet is true!)

I'm a little surprised with the curb weight. I could have sworn I head that the del Sol was a little heavier than the EK coupe. I guess that was with ABS (2535lbs). I imagine mine may be a little heavier with the larger rotors and callipers.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alot of parts. Its deserves all the penny. Sweet
Thanks!

It's a labour of love… An expensive labour of love…

And still more coming!

Stay tuned….

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These just arrived today:

Rocket Motorsports stage 4 d16z6 camshaft

Rocket Motorsports valve springs and titanium retainers

And a couple of weeks ago, the MFactory 1.565 3rd gear

Huge thanks to Robert of Rocket Motorsports for the exceptional customer service and to Kyle (bake82) for the gear.

Sh!t's about the get interesting...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts