Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decide to take my car to track and see how she do. I manange to take care of all the little details that were bothering me like the heating issue, no leaks, gauges are install and operational.

My only problem is that my car is not tuned, but I have decided to do it the old fashion way, by looking at the plugs. Now I have been messing with the fuel pressure regulator and looking at the plugs to see how is running and so far im doing good. I forgot to mention that I will be running 10 pounds.

They say in a stock engine is not a good idea to go higher than 7 pounds, I figure since my car has eagle rods with vitara piston ARP studs and cometic gasket it should hold 10 psi without any problem.

Now my only concern is the fuel since I'll be using the stock 240cc injectors. Like I mention, I'm using the old fashion way of adding fuel via fuel regulator and checking the plugs. Also I have an FMU that I was planning on using with the 240cc but I don't know if this is a good idea. Now I do have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me out.
So before I get people screaming at me, I have 4 spare z6 engines in my garage, one of them is in the stand getting build as we speak (better over all build, Project "La Civica" Strikes Back, coming soon).

Here are a few questions or concerns that I have and I know a lot of d'holics can help me out or point me in the right direction.

1- sparkplug to use ( the ones that I was using the told me they are discontinue) so which are the ones to use if Im running 10 psi, and also how should I gap them?

2- Ignition timing, right now I have it as factory set, should I change this since Im gonna run 10 psi?

3 - I'm gonna be rolling my 15" Konig Heliums can remember the tires sizes but what pressure should I run on them at the track?

4-I don't have LSD, but I do have a LSD clutch kit capable of 400+ pouds of torque, stock axles will be used, I also don't have a track bar on the car so what will be a good launching rpm?

Im trying to see if theres anything else I should know about, so feel free to ad any sugestions or cencerns.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
if my stock z6 held 16psi for a couple months straight of romping on it and taking it to the track and trying to go faster by advancing the dizzy to full advance. You shouldnt have a problem.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if my stock z6 held 16psi for a couple months straight of romping on it and taking it to the track and trying to go faster by advancing the dizzy to full advance. You shouldnt have a problem.
Thanks cervan, now how much advancing should I do, like I said I will be 10-12psi. anything else i should be aware of?

Anybody else have any other pointers, see my questions and concerns at the begining of my post. Common guys we are planning on taking her on friday.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Uh. I'm by no means an expert but a couple of things jump out at me.

Cervan, you ran a STOCK ecu with no fuel managment on 16psi at full manual ignition advance???? A stock engine wouldn't like that much advance it would knock like a bastard, much less a turbo charged one on 16lbs???? I'm VERY confused by this statement.

My concerns would be as follows:

1. Plugs are a GUIDE... a couple of fat spots on the way down from your test run and any signs of detonation can be washed off/cleaned off
2. You have no method to retard ignition timing as boost comes on
3. If that's the case I would DEFINATELY recommend PULLING some timing to be safe.

Above I would be pretty shocked if anyone disagreed with.... now for my opinions which may or may not be right at all... I have no drag racing driving experience.

1. Axles and clutch should be fine as long as you're not TOO hard on them. You can snap an axle at your power level but people WAY above that manage not to
2. LSD obv. it would be better to have one but again people with WAY more power do w/o so you should be fine
3. Traction bars. Ditto as above
4. Konigs/Launching... I'm fairly sure you will NOT get these wheels/tires to "launch" on any psi... They're street tires and won't grab like a slick will so often times trying to "launch" with street wheels/tires actually looses time.

If Danz or any other people who are experienced reply differently listen to them not me... but as far as I understand it on street tires you want to avoid overpowering their traction limitations out of the hole.

I know WAY back in the day there were a LOT of people running FMU's and having little to no issues under 12psi or so, but I'm fairly sure they were all manually retarding the ignition timing at idle to make up for no retard, or they had MSD boxes that could pull timing by RPM... but again that's really not ideal, you CAN make it work... but it's not as "easy" as tuning standalone (which is NOT easy lol).

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your input nono, I kind of wish I have slicks just to have a better launching = better times, i hope but stock tires is what I have so thats what I will use I will have to kind of roll it out of the line I guess. Any avised on gaping the plugs fuel pressure at the regulator ect.....

keep it coming guys, this is just a try thing and a way of keeping me motivated since this has been an on going build with a lot of blood and tears and time, lots of time and I just want to be able to said, I took my baby to the track finally, not looking for records since the car is not tune and I still need a few other items.

SO PLEASE KEEP IT COMING!!!!

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Thanks cervan, now how much advancing should I do, like I said I will be 10-12psi. anything else i should be aware of?

Anybody else have any other pointers, see my questions and concerns at the begining of my post. Common guys we are planning on taking her on friday.
oh i thought you were on crome for some reason, if your just running an FMU i would either get an msd retard box, or run an afc hack. Retarding the timing at the dizzy will give poor low end results however it will work in a pinch. To be honest after a ring land gave out on me on my crx with vitaras i wouldnt run it at all. I know your itching to and just want to lay down the rubber, but to me it isnt worth it and i would rather the car sat until it was right.

thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I ran mine for a month (beating on it, through the mountains and drag racing) on an FMU with an IHI turbo completly stock 200k+ miles on the engine. The only thing I ran into was hitting Map cut. With the eagle rod/vitara setup you should be down around 8 to 1 if not lowwer compression. Your probably pretty good on timing using the stock stuff. I might run it at 14* instead of 16. As for gap, I ran a 28 on the gap.

This is all on my own experince, not saying its right, but at the same time, it worked.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Ring lands break easily on vitaras with any amount of detonation. I'd make a det can and take the base timing down to 10-12* and do some street tuning of the timing before I went to the track.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ring lands break easily on vitaras with any amount of detonation. I'd make a det can and take the base timing down to 10-12* and do some street tuning of the timing before I went to the track.
This.

And the gap listed above is a little high I think.

Do you have colder plugs too?

There are ways around ecu tuning but they require a better knowledge of tuning and require more work.

If you're set on going to the track I'd say just don't be any harder on it then you have been on the street.

Also keep in mind if you've been tuning it on hot days and you drag it on a cool night you could lean out by virtue of that alone.

As cervan said better safe than sorry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts