Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need alittle help here with picking some pistons for my setup.

Goals - Max out greddy turbo at 15psi

I already picked up a set of eagle rods, not sure which pistons to match it with.
Also motor is a d16z6 that i bought used but i know it ran. What are some things i should look at replacing on the motor.
Timing belt, and all belts are a must
Water pump?
Anything else?

Also iam going to be running Crome Pro engine mangament, does anyone know if with the program it will let stock Map sensor run the 15psi?

Thanks

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Crome will not let the stock map sensor read 15 psi. no programmable ecu will.

id say go with some SRP pistons. you can get tehm for cheap and they seem to work great in a lot of people's setups.

if you are building your motor, i suggest replacing about everything that bolts to the block. like water pump, timing belt, tensioner, oil pump, main and rod bearings(this is a given), have your head gone through with new valve seals and a valve job, basically you want to make sure something wont go to shit on you after you get it all together and back in your ride

·
Registered
413 Posts
How many miles are on the motor? That will tell you what to replace. But just to be safe, everything RyanCRX said is correct. You definitely need to change the map sensor.

On a side note, Greddy claims their turbo will do 15 psi. Mine, however, won't hold anything over 11psi. Nothing is wrong with it, but if you really want more than 10 psi, find another turbo. I went with Wisco pistons and coated them. SRP does make good pistons. Find some lower compression pistons to help with the tuning.

Good luck.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been running 9-10psi for last year. Without any problems. I have been in a buddies car that ran max boost, and there was a big difference.
My buddy just got back to me with a price on Endyn roller wave pistons and headgasket for 800 CANADIAN tax in shipped.
About swapping turbos, that will be left to the future. But this motor will be able to handle more than what the greddy turbo can blow. That is why iam going with a real piston instead of vitara's.

EDIT> Motor has appernt 180,000 KMS on it, but when taken apart it looks good. I do have a perfectly good d16z6 in my car right now, if somethine goes wrong and i have to fall back onto the stock motor.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanna make sure.... Are stock axles good enought for the power?

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
greddytunedhatch said:

On a side note, Greddy claims their turbo will do 15 psi..
it will, but it will run out of breath quickly in the high rpms.
stock axles are fine just really depends on high badly you try and beat on em. TurboZC has been popping new axles left and right, and hes only at 230whp. sohcturbo has yet to break an axle on 320whp. :beer:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I concur with Ryan. Figured I would help you out with some part numbers and price references.

SRP offers 9.0:1 Pistons for your application. Part numbers are as follows for the D16Z6...

Standard - 149199
+10 Over - 149200
+20 Over - 149201

(Don't pay more than $360 for the set, which is our price)

Would also reccomend ARP headstuds for any boosted application. For your D16Z6, you'll need part number...

208-4301

(Don't pay more than $87.00 for these.)

You should also consider a Cometic head gasket.

Hope that helps.

Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts