Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been contemplating my current job situation (as you can see in the random thought thread) and have been gaining more and more traction into the world of programming...

I went to school for engineering but paused to get some experience in the field and ended up staying for the past 2 years... I have a huge background in designing and visualization type of things (which is why I traveled down the engineering path), and I see how inefficient we use technology because we don't take the time to understand it.

All of my current company's automation stems from excel VBAs and etc, where the people who "train" others to use said "programs" barely understand how to use the powerful tools themselves... My company is based of off tons of data which is what make it good. But the way that we manipulate the data is so backwards that I see many wasting time with tedious tasks that generate errors based on how much fucks are given at that point in time.

Anyway, the main point to this is I would take time to actually understand how these things work/mod them for my intended purpose which has made me efficient... This grew into me getting more involved with programming (computers have always been there and I play around with random tasks and BS) looking into VBAs, finding neat AutoCAD LISPs, learning VS and MVC etc, etc...

So my question to you is, how did you get into programming and turn it more into a career? I've got a few projects that I'm slowly tackling and am curious if I should start getting serious about going down this path possibly career-wise...

Engineering is nothing without technology, and technology is nothing without computers... And if the computer is smarter than us, then we got ourselves a problem don't we.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I just started college today and went to my first programming class.

Were using Raptor and Python for programming. I can update you further as i go along.

Look at W3shools.org or something like that.. you can learn for free.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just started college today and went to my first programming class.

Were using Raptor and Python for programming. I can update you further as i go along.

Look at W3shools.org or something like that.. you can learn for free.
Lol that's how I learned most things in general...

Never heard of Raptor, and hear that Python is easy but never looked at it since I've been playing around in Windows. As of right now, I've only done C# and feel like I weasel my way through that currently, slowly picking up on things as I go along.

Feel free to populate this thread friend.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
You might start by seeing how you can improve the programs you are using at work. If you can do that they might change your job title. Or if you can come up with a really good way to "lean out" a process you might be able to market yourself to similar businesses. If you can design something that will make the programs at work run better, try to get some intellectual property patents or something slapped on it before you go live ... that was it's yours and you can go public with it. Just kinda spitballin here sorry for the disjointed thought vomit.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I can package a polished version of what they use but I'm not sure how to "present" something like that. Plus I guess like you said, get a patent... But couldn't they argue that they "own me" and all of the work that I do, they have the rights to also?

EDIT: Also, think of it this way... I will still be using their existing methods also, which the company already owns. So I think that makes this direct goal an even more hairy one. I already had a meeting with the Project Manager which said theirs no room for this kind of task at least under his budget. I'd have to move to a whole different department and try to hash it out with them...

At the end of the day, I'm not sure how that dynamic would work. Plus I'd be stepping on a bunch of toes at that point too...

Anyway, I'm pretty fed up with whatever the dynamic is currently. The company is growing too fast for itself, so it's messy. My direct experience is apparently not transferable to other positions; so they are trying to push me down the ladder while they take Mr.Anonymous that is new to the field because he graduated from a top 50 school.

I'm still contemplating if I should even share my "tricks" with my boss before I leave because I need to train him on what I do... I'm just trying to wrap it up so I can leave... Already have something else lined up for me. But it's a good point for me to start taking programming seriously also....

So I want to see how others got into it...

·
Registered
557 Posts
You need to live here! we have google, HP, Intel, Nike.. all the big ones! lots of computer jobs. I do marketing/graphic design for nike

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I can package a polished version of what they use but I'm not sure how to "present" something like that. Plus I guess like you said, get a patent... But couldn't they argue that they "own me" and all of the work that I do, they have the rights to also?

EDIT: Also, think of it this way... I will still be using their existing methods also, which the company already owns. So I think that makes this direct goal an even more hairy one. I already had a meeting with the Project Manager which said theirs no room for this kind of task at least under his budget. I'd have to move to a whole different department and try to hash it out with them...

At the end of the day, I'm not sure how that dynamic would work. Plus I'd be stepping on a bunch of toes at that point too...

Anyway, I'm pretty fed up with whatever the dynamic is currently. The company is growing too fast for itself, so it's messy. My direct experience is apparently not transferable to other positions; so they are trying to push me down the ladder while they take Mr.Anonymous that is new to the field because he graduated from a top 50 school.

I'm still contemplating if I should even share my "tricks" with my boss before I leave because I need to train him on what I do... I'm just trying to wrap it up so I can leave... Already have something else lined up for me. But it's a good point for me to start taking programming seriously also....

So I want to see how others got into it...
I see. You just have a way of cleaning up what they've already got ... not really patentable I don't think. Have you considered teh idea of getting some "lean method" (six sigma, kaizen and the like) certifications (I think they call them green and black belts). Basically it's the idea of leaning down processes ... I'm not sure how something like that might transfer to the programming world, but it sounds like you have an eye for efficiency so something like that might open some doors for you ... or maybe your eyes to new possibilities. There are a lot of places that look for help with that kind of stuff ... you might be able to do it on a consultation basis, be your own boss and all that good stuff.

Might be worth looking in to.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Looks like I have access to all the schools software..

Maybe even ghosting a windows 10 version (beta)

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Well programming for me came in the form of being fed to the wolves.

I work for a rapid manufacturing company in the aerospace industry. I started in one dept. using the optical comparators for QA. After about a year of that boring job, our CMM (coordinate measuring machine programmer) wanted to further his education using his already BA of Material science. So they pulled me over to learn programming this beast. (Brown & Sharpe 7.10.7) using PCDMIS 2014.1. This machine can measure down to .002 mm (micron) with a repeatability of .008 mm. Its been fun and ive just scratched the surface of PCDMIS. been doing this for two years now and havent looked back since!

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love it! That's exactly why I'm at a loss.... I'm well established in my field but have no immediate available movement towards this type of stuff.

I am also looking down the barrel of the aviation industry. A design job popped up a few month back and I need to see if that's still open...

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Love it! That's exactly why I'm at a loss.... I'm well established in my field but have no immediate available movement towards this type of stuff.

I am also looking down the barrel of the aviation industry. A design job popped up a few month back and I need to see if that's still open...
If you have the chance to get into the aero field. DO IT. That's an industry that will not be going belly up any time soon. Where are you located?

Edit: Scrap that i see Florida

1 - 12 of 12 Posts