Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a stock d and I just bolted up a journal bearing gt35 and I can't get this thing to spool up! It's a .63 trim and I'm lucky to get 5-6lbs at 7500 rpm lol it won't even open the wastegate! Tried boost build and don't get anything! Is this turbo simply to big for my d? Any suggestions on getting it to spool?

·
Registered
840 Posts
do you think a stock block will handle much more than that anyways? i feel like thats already asking alot.. but thats just me i'm sure someone will know more, did you check you manifold if there is a leak there will be spool issues..

·
Registered
414 Posts
deffinitly check for exhaust leaks.... the manifold to turbo seam likes to leak if you use a gasket, i took mine off and problem solved. also is it tuned? too much advance in the lower psi will cause a big turbo to spool very shittily (word? lol)

·
Registered
984 Posts
He could've bolted it on while on the dyno trying to tune it for all we know. You've definately got a leak somewhere. It could be pre-turbo not letting the turbo fully spool, the wastegate sticking open bypassing pressure, or a leak in the charge piping as well, just not as likely. But please for the love of God, dont be raping on it untuned!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car is tuned and I have a wideband. I upgraded turbos and removed my boost controller to run off the wastage spring. I removed each coupling and inspected/ cleaned And still only make a few lbs of boost. The turbo is a brand new Godspeed gt35 which comes with 1 year warranty. I'll be bolting up a precision gt35 ball bearing tomorrow to see if the turbo is an issue.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1,517 Posts
The car is tuned and I have a wideband. I upgraded turbos and removed my boost controller to run off the wastage spring. I removed each coupling and inspected/ cleaned And still only make a few lbs of boost. The turbo is a brand new Godspeed gt35 which comes with 1 year warranty. I'll be bolting up a precision gt35 ball bearing tomorrow to see if the turbo is an issue.
You have a leak.Or that turbo is bad.....No that turbo is not to "big" for you D to spool make a boost leak tester and then check to make sure all bolts are tight.
if you don't know what it is, mine is a pcv cap the same size as my turbo intake with a valve stem like you use in wheels pushed through a hole in the end of the cap. use a coupler to put it on the turbo's intake, pressurize the system, then use your ears to find leaks.

it could also be a shitty tune. or pre-turbo exhaust leak.

when you say you are tuned, what boost level were you tuned for? did your tuner have a problem reaching more than 6psi?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've seen this alot and its such an easy part to over look. Check and make sure the compressor housing seal is in place. A lot of times people rotate the comp housing and it falls out or it will bind up.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was tuned at 10psi on considerable smaller t3/t4. What really confuses me about the whole thing is I didn't change anything on my setup except the turbo. I never pulled any charge pipes apart and I ran the piss out of the car before changing turbos and didn't have any issues. I pressurized my charge pipes yesterday after pulling and and cleaning/ inspecting each coupler and did not find a leak. I'll look into the seal on the compressor because I did have the bolts lose.

·
Registered
984 Posts
What size wastegate spring are you running? If im tracking right you were running 10 lbs with a boost controller right? Now you removed it to run off wastegate?
Sounds like he was running a 5-6 psi spring and raising the boost with a boost controller. He eliminated the boost controller to go back to spring pressure and eliminate the controller as a problem. It has be leaking pre-turbo somewhere, assuming the turbo is good. Seal between the turbo and manifold, manifold and wastegate, or the wastegate itself is sticking open for some reason, unless of course the seal on the compressor housing is fugged as stated earlier.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I didn't plan on using this turbo until I had all my parts together for my build but the seals on the one I was running went bad. I rechecked my charge pipes and found no leaks. I actually pressurized them enough to blow the PVC end cap out of the coupling. Tial 38mm with 7lb spring and it all checks out ok; no exhaust leaks from around plunger and opens and shuts when compressed air is applied. Brand new manifold gasket was used on install and no leaks around the flange. I also pulled the compressor housing and the o ring was fine. All bolts are snug and compressor wheel spins freely for 5 seconds or so after spun. I have 3" dp and exhaust, no cat so there shouldn't be any restriction there. Only thing I can think is it's the turbo. 1 year warranty on it so I guess I can send it back and try again. Just doesn't make sense when it spins so freely!

·
Registered
375 Posts
The turbo is kinda big...BUT...

look for leaks...
tune the car...different turbo NEEDS a re-check on the tune
may be a bad turbo...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Its the Turbo.... Godspeed China charger. The exhaust trim is probably double or close to what its advertised. It would probably spool OK on a 2.0+ or any b series vtec but d series heads aren't as efficient.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Well I was gonna use one of these. Now I'm scared. Might just go with the 50 trim again.

I have a feeling its not the turbo. I use godspeed and have used a few t70's on customers cars. Their 35r t70 thing. Same thing as you. Never had it spool any later than a ls or b16 with the setup.

Hmmm. Maybe it is your car. The tune could be waaay lean

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok made a little progress today... pulled my exhaust off and ran open downpipe and could actually get the thing to spool up. carries the nice whine of a ball bearing turbo too. i'm not really sure why this helped b/c it's 3" downpipe and exhaust with hooker hearder straight through muffler? could it possible there is a break in period for it?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts