Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just got a 95 civic dx, and im throughly enjoying the car, then, my dash lights go out. I check the fuse, its busted, so i replace it. Im driving fine, then when i stop the car, and press the brakes the dash lights come on. Also, my third brake light always stays on, im not sure whats up with that either, but im worried since i just bought the car 2 days ago.if any you guys could help me out id really appreciate it. Im also doing all the maintenence on it. I changed the oil, air filter, and put engine restorer in with it. What maintence should i do besides what ive done? its got 139000 miles with a 5 speed tranny

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
1st - this forum is for DIY articles...not tech/help posts... use the general tech forum for that

for your problem, it seems pretty obvious that you have a wiring short somewhere. First, a 12V wire touched ground and shorted the fuse (put too much current through it). Then, the same 12V wire is in contact with the wiring going to your cluster (somewhere after the switch on your steering column). It's probably setting off the rear brake light also. Find out where those wires are and find the short... probably an exposed wire... fix it.

Electrical problems are the hardest to solve so good luck... use a Helms or Haynes manual and a multimeter to find the wires.

edit - oh and for maintenance... I'd never trust what the previous owner did to the car unless he gave you records. Change the timing belt, water/oil pumps, fuel filter, PCV valve, all the little stuff

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool, but where do i start? I think im gunna need to take the dash off, but if not then what? Also, should i be looking for a fray in the wires, or what? thanks in advance

·
Registered
243 Posts
takin off the dash wouldnt be necesary but it would help. to find the short take a multimeter and measure the voltage drops over the wires. see if any of them have drops which they should if they're shorted. most likely its stripped the insulation and the bare wire is touching ground which can be the body.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts