Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay.. before everyone says use search button.. i did.. after pages of not matching problems and trying to replace the cap again.. i am posting

Engine: SOHC VTEC D16ZC - stock except minor things such as header/intake/flywheel etc

Problem: Coolant Disappearing

NOT overheating, NO coolant in oil, NO oil in coolant, NO smoke, NEW thermostat, NEW radiator cap (two of them actually), NEW radiator, FLUSHED/CLEANED system, NEW upper/lower hoses, Stopleak added in case of small hole somewhere, NO visible leaks (can let motor idle and heat up and NOTHING is wet anywhere), NEW overflow, NO coolant smell, header is wrapped to decrease temperature in bay(worked well), spark plugs->new, just changed oil Sunday.. it was/fine

story: can fill up radiator, overflow will get filled up, not sucking back into system(i think)... filled up everything, bled system, drove home (<20 miles probably), let everything cool off, check radiator, top hose and radiator empty, overflow has more water but not all of the missing water.. the car is NOT overheating and running very well besides this issue

help?

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
a miniscule leak. i have gone through this exact situation. no symptoms except occasionally overheating a bit. then it got worse and worse.

and i dont like the inflection you had on that sentence. you should be respectfull when someone is trying to help you

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
check the cond of the cap that was my problem if you have more and more in the resivoir its your cap

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
we did the stop leak in case there was a leak.. it was just losing a little bit but has been getting worse.. replaced two front hoses.. and have went over every other hose i could think of to see if they were even wet on the outside

and it wasn't meant to be rude.. just saying i dont see how its a head gasket with NO signs of a head gasket issue.. i came to this site FOR help because i dont trust a lot of the other honda sites lol

i thought i covered all the main possibilities for what it COULD be.. but the car hasn't overheated once.. 99.98% sure the gauge works fine..

checked the oil again last night.. even took off the valve cover to check for any signs.. royal purple is clean as ever and i havent seen one spec of oil in the coolant... its almost like its not picking the coolant back up from the overflow.. which is why ive went through 2 caps

tibby - the one that was on was fairly new cause my old one was leaky.. just bought another one today cause i know they can still be faulty new.. when i got home top hose and part of rad. were empty again.. filled it up again.. going to see if it holds coolant overnight.. drive it in the am and see if its still disappearing

IF it is then i might throw some head gasket stop leak in it if the OTHER stop leak didn't fix it.. IF it stops then I guess I'm tearing a head off

any possibility of the water pump? I figured it would be overheating though

we have also contemplated the motor just running hot for the coolant due to plugs/timing/etc which is why the plugs have been replaced and the header wrap was put on.. even thought the temp gauge never goes past 1/2

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
You have a pinhole leak in your head gasket, you won't visibly see the coolant for another 1-3k miles if your lucky. At least that's what mine did until one day the needle decided it wanted to go north and a fog of coolant smoke came pouring out blinding every car behind me for a mile.

The coolant is staying above the piston atm and probably evaporating before it reaches your tailpipe.

If you smell coolant by chance when your driving then check for a tiny tiny leak in the weephole of your water pump chances are tho it's a headgasket as shitty as it is.

Hook a coolant system pressure checker to your radiator,pump it up and let it sit for 30 minutes if you loose pressure at all chances are you have a tiny leak in the hg if u dont see it on the ground

BTW: If there was no overheating,coolant on ground etc. etc. what prompted you to notice coolant loss?

·
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
i looe some but it alwaysends up in my overflow so i just pour it back in

also is the spring the right stiffness shoudl say like 14lb or 16lb

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
civichatch - i go to school 50 miles away and commute and check all fluids once a week.. and you cant smell any coolant.. that was one of the first things i checked for... im not too worried about pulling the head off.. we had to do it like 3 times on my old motor.. just strange it shows no signs of head gasket.. because isn't the quick check the bubbles in the overflow? ill probably pour some of the head gasket fix in it tomorrow.. if it stops ill pull the head asap.. if not the head gasket fix will work its way out of the car in a few days lol

tibby - i just bought a 16 pound cap this afternoon for it

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
if it is not dissapearing on the outside of the motor (you say no). the only place it could be disapering is on the inside of the motor. its pretty basic. eventually it will get worse

·
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
is there a part of the rad that looks discolored?
it my not feel like it but it may be wet and might have a lil leak from a craked fin or somthing

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats the thing.. MOST of the coolant is going into the overflow like i guess it should.. but not going back.. if it was burning all the coolant its missing wouldnt it be running badly and wouldn't i smell it?

radiator is great.. brand new.. we put the rad. stop leak just in case it got hit by a rock or something and had a small leak.. couldnt find one but we did the stop leak just in case.. radiator actually got pulled out last week when the hoses were replaced

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
ok for one, once the coolent level goes down, theres no way your car is able to read temperature.. so therefore you have no idea if it is overheating.. temp sensor cannot read air.. you have a small leak somewhere, and or your headgasket is shot.. i would not drive it unless you wanna crack a sleeve, and or warp a head/block..

also those stop leak additives are JUNK

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont let it run dry.. it has coolant in while running

and fyi your AIR and COOLANT temps are measured by the same device.. so yes.. it can read different things.. and im pretty sure if i let it run dry it would say it was hot

and pretty sure if it was overheating i would have blown a head gasket a long time ago.. and it would be smoking... and i wouldn't be able to get out and touch the valve cover no problem

no need to rude boostedfreak

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts

and fyi your AIR and COOLANT temps are measured by the same device.. so yes.. it can read different things.. and im pretty sure if i let it run dry it would say it was hot

and pretty sure if it was overheating i would have blown a head gasket a long time ago.. and it would be smoking... and i wouldn't be able to get out and touch the valve cover no problem

are you freaking kidding me?

iat for air
ect for coolant

edit, for a bonus your guage has a different sending unit than the sending unit that the ecu uses to help determine fuel and timing trim

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
they are both normally measured by a thermistors

pretty sure SAE is not wrong

AND if that was true then when you DO blow a headgasket and the coolant goes everywhere the temp gauge should read normal or cold? dont think so

but obviously you guys are assholes who just HAVE to be right and cant f'in read.. thankyou tibby and civicfreak for your POLITE help

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts

im not being rude, im being straight forward... everyone is telling you the same thing.. you keep saying noooo its not that, i checked that... its not leaking.... well obviously its either leaking or burning or doing both....

and no, coolent sensors cant read air so your wrong.

and if you keep saying its not burning coolent because it shows no signs, or leaking because you said everything is dry, your not looking hard enough.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
he is right. a coolant temp sensor will not read air properly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i said they are measured by the same DEVICE

a thermistor

and i said MOST of it is going INTO the OVERFLOW and not RETURNING when the car is cooling down.. i DONT KNOW if it is the EXACT amount because i havent sat there with a measuring cup to see how much goes into the overflow vs how much is gone from the rad and evaporated

like tibby said it is normally caused by cap issues.. which i replaced.. i wanted to know if something else could affect the vacuum besides what ive went through

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
you realize not all thermistors read off the same range.

you think there is the exact same decrease in resistance when air goes from 32-100 as when coolant/water goes from 32-100 degrees?

they

have

different

ranges

of

resistance

1 - 20 of 38 Posts