Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I've been running 4-5lbs for the past 2 months. Last night I bumped it up to 8lbs (that's where it was originally street tuned for anyway) and damn what a difference it made. And the motor still feels like it can hold a lot more. It's a healthy ass motor. Anyway, I've planned to run 10lbs daily after dyno tuning but Im wondering if maybe 12lbs would be safe. I know no one can tell for sure but a lot of you have seen a lot more boosted D's than I have so I don't know the limitations of most of them. I have, however, noticed most people stop at 10lbs. If it's not a good idea to run 12lbs daily then do you think it would be fun to make a couple runs on 12lbs just to see what kind of power it makes?

And my last thing...can someone provide me with the specs from Honda on how to tighten down the head studs? I know there's an order and someone on here told me before but I can't find the post and I can't remember what it was. I need to know because Im putting the ARP's in with a new HG on Friday night. And correct me if Im wrong but to install the studs, don't you just take the head off, put all the new studs in hand tight ONLY with an allen head and then slide the head back on, lube up the threads on the end of the arp studs and then tighten down the nuts to about about 55-60ft lbs? Or is there a step I missed? Do you lube both ends with the threads on em or just the ones where the nuts go on? And why do you only hand tighten the studs down into the block? Thanks in advance for reading and for any answers you can give me

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
not sure on the order off the top of my head. I put lube on the top and bottom of the studs. Hand tighten them with the allen, put the head on then torque down in the proper sequence. I think we started at 20lbs, then went to 40lbs, then to the final torque that arp recommended. The power it will handle will all depend on your tune. I know mrnicolas was running 14 psi on a stock block with no problems, but his was with a 15g turbo. The size of your snail will play a role in it too.

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea true...mines a small IHI ball bearing baby turbo. I saw several guys on HT running 12lbs on bone stock motors. I think I'll try 14lbs and see how that goes. But yea, so why do you only hand tighten the studs into the block? Thanks for the reply man!

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
yea true...mines a small IHI ball bearing baby turbo. I saw several guys on HT running 12lbs on bone stock motors. I think I'll try 14lbs and see how that goes. But yea, so why do you only hand tighten the studs into the block? Thanks for the reply man!
np, I'm not sure to be honest with you on why you only hand tighten them. I guess it keeps it from stripping out when you torque them.

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
good questions, i'd be interested in hearing the answers too. -bookmarked-

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea doesn't really matter why I guess. I was just curious lol. Thanks man

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
I´m in the middle of my turbo building, hopefully I´ll finish this next week end, I´m running an ihi rhf5 ball bearing, may be the same that you have, How do you feel your car running 8 psi????

I´m want to set this at 12 lbs for a daily driver and 15 psi to run 1/4 mile, .

Are you having any traction issues???
What kind of tires are you running???

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
here's the torque sequence

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks a lot bro! Awesome help.

Im not having to bad of traction issues. Im running some Dunlop tires. It breaks loose in 1st after VTEC sometimes but other than that...it's not to bad. And 8lbs feels awesome! Im gonna run 10-12lbs daily and track. I wouldn't run 15lbs unless you have one of those freak motors though!

Reactions: vtecduck

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Do you have pics of your set up,????

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
I´m running vitaras/eagle rods.

How much psi can I run with this apexi ihi turbo and this combo ???

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mmk thanks man. I don't wanna run more than 12lbs. And I just changed the plugs. I do, however, need to regap them down to about .028 or .030 They're around .035 right now (bad). Anyone know anything about eBay MBC's? I found one with a lifetime warranty. I need to get one ordered tonight so I'll for sure have it by this weekend. Here's a link to the one Im looking at. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NXS-...tegoryZ33742QQihZ016QQitemZ260090387689QQrdZ1

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
I´m running vitaras/eagle rods.

How much psi can I run with this apexi ihi turbo and this combo ???
there are people making 400 hp with similar setups with different turbos.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
mmk thanks man. I don't wanna run more than 12lbs. And I just changed the plugs. I do, however, need to regap them down to about .028 or .030 They're around .035 right now (bad). Anyone know anything about eBay MBC's? I found one with a lifetime warranty. I need to get one ordered tonight so I'll for sure have it by this weekend. Here's a link to the one Im looking at. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NXS-...tegoryZ33742QQihZ016QQitemZ260090387689QQrdZ1

That one should work alright. No different than a home depot needle valve though...

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so should I just make one instead? Im just worried about it spiking. I don't know why it would but I dunno...make one or buy one off eBay?

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea I don't have that much money to spend on one right now but I really need one so Im either ordering a cheap one off eBay or Im gonna make one. Making one might be cheaper and I know I'd have it by this weekend then lol.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
may be you can email me some pics of your set up,

I need help building mine.

What down pipe are you running, 2.5 or 3"????

are you keeping your a/c, I want to keep it,

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a full Apexi kit so it's all made to fit my car and to keep a/c and p/s. I got rid of A/C anyway though. I kept p/s. My kit uses a 2.5" downpipe but later Im gonna put a bigger cam in and get a bigger downpipe and exhaust. If you're running vitara's and eagles then I'd do a 3" dp and full exhaust. You have plenty of room to make lots of power.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.