Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you pay for it? i called around and places are usually charging 45-50 for a hot tank, and anywhere from 28-50 for a hone. Also, this one place told me that i couldnt just "hone" a cylinder because to do it properly you'd actually have to bore and hone to get the grooves to the right depth or something like that. Has anyone heard that before?
For a block mill/deck (heard it both ways today) it ranges from 58-65
For a head mill/deck it ranges from $40-78
how do these prices sound?

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
I paid

Deck- $75
Power (?) Hone- $60
Mill- $45

And I had them hot tank it afterwards for an extra $25, just to get the shavings and what not out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I paid

Deck- $75
Power (?) Hone- $60
Mill- $45

And I had them hot tank it afterwards for an extra $25, just to get the shavings and what not out.
they hot tanked it after? they told me they'd have to hot tank it first so they dont contaminate their machine.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
You have to have a way to make sure any / all contaminates in your block.... are gone prior to building it...so yes usually after all that they tank it. I know our shop here, will tank it first, clean it up etc, if they do any fiddling with it at all, they tank it again to be sure prior to putting it together.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
I cleaned my block quite a bit prior to taking it to the machine shop. Not sure if they tanked it prior or not, but I wasnt charged for it if they did.

·
Premium Member
92 civic cx hatch
1,012 Posts
why does everybody say hot tanking aluminum! it ruins the aluminum. they use a jet wash

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
why does everybody say hot tanking aluminum! it ruins the aluminum. they use a jet wash
Who cares? I think its become a universal term. I dont know what equipment they use at the machine shop, so I dont try to get all technical.

Fine. They cleaned it. With soap and water for all I care.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
The "reputable" place near me is

Hone/Bore- $15 per cylinder
Any type of milling- $40
Hot tank- $20

·
Registered
801 Posts
bore/hone $6 per cylinder

tank - $20

deck/mill - $50
where at in Ohio? I got a block for my new head i want to get checked up on before i put it back in the car...don't mind the drive since i can't find anywhere reasonable in pgh

·
wheres my money man!!
11,333 Posts
Who cares? I think its become a universal term. I dont know what equipment they use at the machine shop, so I dont try to get all technical.

Fine. They cleaned it. With soap and water for all I care.
it does mater. If someone goes in and says hey can you hot tank my block and there talking to Jim Bob Billy Joe they dont know they will hot tank it
jet wash and hot tank are 2 very different things.

As for prices. 20 to Jet wash
and they charge 10 a hole to hone. But I do my own honing

·
Premium Member
95 Solvic, 93 dS si
694 Posts
you can hot tank aluminum, just as long as you use the proper agents in it. You obviously can not use the the same acid that they use on CI blocks as it literally eats the aluminum, however there are detergents that are aluminum safe. Thats actually what I use in my 40 gallon parts cleaner (that has a burner attached to it too keep the solution a few degrees below boiling)

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
it does mater. If someone goes in and says hey can you hot tank my block and there talking to Jim Bob Billy Joe they dont know they will hot tank it
jet wash and hot tank are 2 very different things.

As for prices. 20 to Jet wash
and they charge 10 a hole to hone. But I do my own honing
If youre taking your shit to a machine shop that hasnt done work with aluminum before, you should find another shop...

So again, no, it really doesnt matter what I call it.

·
Registered
a car
1,461 Posts
where at in Ohio? I got a block for my new head i want to get checked up on before i put it back in the car...don't mind the drive since i can't find anywhere reasonable in pgh

chillicothe. we have a few guys that do it out of their sheds/garages but both of them build sprint racing engines. the one guy has been in the business for longer than ive been alive lol

where are you located?

·
Registered
89 ed
476 Posts
ZEP® Building & Equipment Care - ZEP® Recirculating Detergent Metal Parts Cleaner (1) 40 lb. Drum 036634
this is the same stuff we use at the yard and I know the machine shop dad works for uses the same stuff, except they have 2 tanks one for CI, 1 for alloys, and 1 big ultrasonic cleaner.

quote from link above
RECIRCULATING DETERGENT

TYPE: Low-Foam Metal Cleaner for Aluminum and Other Soft Metals

(1) 40 lb. Drum

BENEFITS: Zep RECIRCULATING DETERGENT is formulated for use in hot vat or recirculating spray wash cabinets. It consists of a special powdered blend of buffered alkalies, soil suspending agents, low foam detergents, and emulsifiers. It is an excellent performer where low foam is a necessity, as in recirculating spray wash units. It may be used on all metals including aluminum, zinc, and babbit for the removal of grease, grime and similar automotive type soils. It quickly removes soils from alternators, starters, carburetors, etc., without damage to machined surfaces. Zep RECIRCULATING DETERGENT may also be used to clean ferrous metals such as motor heads, engine blocks, etc.

·
Registered
801 Posts
chillicothe. we have a few guys that do it out of their sheds/garages but both of them build sprint racing engines. the one guy has been in the business for longer than ive been alive lol

where are you located?
Pittsburgh, not opposed to driving for the most part, prefer spending the money on gas/food cause at least that way it was a fun day in the car.

yeah i don't care if its a shop or a dude or a chick or whatever...one thing i've learned from cars or computers...just because you have a building and a sign doesn't mean you necessarily know your shit...

·
Registered
557 Posts
$60 for bore at my shop (4)holes and sometimes they clean for free.. my head was $80 for wash/shaved bottom n cleaned up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts