Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am new tk this site and also new-ish to Hondas. I have done a few motor swaps on them but never really got into depth with the lingo and what is all interchangeable etc.

So i was wondering should, since i now own a Honda, buy a flat billed hat and rock it hardcore? Lol Just kiddin. I prefer muscle cars anyday... but back to the task at hand.

I recently picked up a VERY CLEAN 94 Del Sol D15 auto for $500 with a blown head gasket. When i was replacing the head gasket i noticed it had what appeared to be low compression pistons and the motor had been very recently rebuilt. Also car came with boost gauge and a/f gauge along with a brand new bumper and one piece head lights and fog lights. So i replaced the head gasket and it runs like a champ!

One problem though, it consumes fuel at a more rapid rate and burns a little oil under hard acceleration. Could this car still have a tuned ecu and bigger injectors? How can I tell for certain. Like i stated before, always have messed with all motor carbed cars... need a bit of help.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Lower compression will consume more fuel anyway because it will take more air and fuel to make enough power to move the car vs. a higher compression motor. It could possibly be running a turbo map. If you could pull an injector and send a picture of it we could probably tell you if it is a bigger injector.

The gauges and what not could just be because the previous owner wanted to look cool, but from the sounds of it he may have been prepping the car to be turbo'd. I wonder which d15 that is though since there aren't any pistons, other than the stock flat top ones and some aftermarket forged ones, that really fit in those things.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
does the piston top say pm3, i think these are for d15b7. OPen up your ecu and see if its chipped or not.

Edit: I re read- auto, this thing couldn't be turbo before. O well take pics.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
does the piston top say pm3, i think these are for d15b7. OPen up your ecu and see if its chipped or not.

Edit: I re read- auto, this thing couldn't be turbo before. O well take pics.
It could have been, people have been known to boost autos. Not very common and not very much boost but it's been done before. Also, the b7 pistons will not look like low comp pistons they have a flat top the only "dished" part of them is the valve reliefs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pistons had four reliefs in them, assuming those are the valve reliefs. I dont know much about this car other than I bought it with a blown head gasket, it came with all kinds of extra goodies, I drove it home and as I pulled onto my street she finally started overheating and as I pulled it into my drive she went "kapoot".

I let it sit over night and had it running and driving the next day. I did a full tune up and ALL fluids were flushed then changed ran for two days then changed again. Just wondering why the heavy fuel consumption. Im getting 25-28mpg at best. I will pull the injectors and pop out the ecu and post pics when i get off work.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The pistons had four reliefs in them, assuming those are the valve reliefs. I dont know much about this car other than I bought it with a blown head gasket, it came with all kinds of extra goodies, I drove it home and as I pulled onto my street she finally started overheating and as I pulled it into my drive she went "kapoot".

I let it sit over night and had it running and driving the next day. I did a full tune up and ALL fluids were flushed then changed ran for two days then changed again. Just wondering why the heavy fuel consumption. Im getting 25-28mpg at best. I will pull the injectors and pop out the ecu and post pics when i get off work.
like someone said earlier, the owner was likely "prepping" the car for boost. boosting an auto is possible but very unusual because of the weak torque converter. the piston you are describing is the oem piston, and i bet the engine "looks" rebuilt because when a headgasket blows, the coolant inside the cylinder "steam cleans" the piston tops and combustion chamber to look fairly new.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
pics will help alot holmes.. also highly recommend taking the block and head to the machine shop to get trued up(this is if you havent thought about it already).. or atleast the head anyways

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts

Is that in town? If it is that's about what it was supposed to get from the factory. The one with a manual transmission had a slightly better fuel efficiency rating. But you lose more energy through an automatic so you don't get the same MPG. If that's highway MPG then you might have a problem somewhere, but for city driving that sounds about right for that car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts