Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car keeps pressure in the cooling system even after sitting for a week or two. And when you run it hard the water blows out thru the cap. I have a catch can on it. I blew the heater hose two times then a head gasket because I still ran it. I was runnin 25lbs of boost in 4th gear with 11-12 degrees of timing but the car was at 22 with 9-10 degrees of timing. always ran 93 and had a little of 110 in there tonite. Also the thermostat I think was bad car ran at 205 but at nite it could run cold as 120 because boost cut for cold was 15lbs and it would hit boost cut until it warm up from running in boost. Just seeing if someone else had a problem like that. Its a z6 with a felpro head gasket, t3/t4 57 garett. Tune on NepTune by me with a 59300 cam. and eagles and srp.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It probably has something to do with your timing. Since you did say you tuned it yourself and I would assume it wasn't tuned on a dyno. I've done a few DIY tune on all of my cars and they all ran fine with no issues. But I guess I just got lucky with them. Swap in a new HG and take it to a tuner.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha I had about 11 degrees of timing on about 25psi with 93 and alittle 110 in the mix.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
what motor though? or should i say what head?

i know for sure my timing was fine and detonation wasnt the issue. i'm pretty sure my head was warped from the get go and setting up anti-lag started the leak and upping the boost finished it off.

11° at 22psi is usually fine for anything besides a y8...

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still wonder if my head gasket was blow for a while if the cooling system was getting pressured. Or it could of been when it gets hot it was pushing the coolant into the catch can and when it cool off the water couldn't return because theres no pickup line in the catch can? Air in the system?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
you probably blew the hoses because of the blown headgasket, not the other way around..

your timing is still not even pushing it in my opinion. with a z6 head you can run 18-20° at 10psi, 14-15 at 15psi and 11-12° on up to 25psi.... the 88-95 heads dont mind the timing so long as the fuel is good. of coarse all this was before the 10% ethanol, which honestly should make the fuel handle more timing before detonation.

i honestly think the headlift issue is just inevitable on some single cams, some get lucky, most dont and end up swapping to a B....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i've ran some LSx cars/trucks already in the single cam, i'm not impressed with them anymore. the 400whp TBSS couldnt hang, the C6 vette got me by 2 cars but i was reeling him in once i hit 3rd (horrible race though)...

i still tune new gen GM v8's (also some cobalt SS's, colorados, and the occasional daily driven s10) for some fun here and there. havent done many since the track has been closed this winter. my roots are with the mustangs, i miss the sound of my vortech at idle, but the civic is much quicker than the mustang ever was.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
timing in the map has nothing to do with whats happening inside the engine if it was not synced properly or if the cam is advanced or retarded without redoing the timing... etc...

just because it says 11 degrees in the maps doesnt mean you are safe.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
what HG are you using?

ive had the same problem and it was always the HG. never changed the tune. just put a better HG in it.
personally have never had problems with the blue felpro gaskets.
any HG that me and my buddy have used that is painted black always failed for some reason

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fel pro gasket and the cam timing was at zero the distrubtor might of been alittle off.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
timing in the map has nothing to do with whats happening inside the engine if it was not synced properly or if the cam is advanced or retarded without redoing the timing... etc...

just because it says 11 degrees in the maps doesnt mean you are safe.
this is true, but generally when people speak of timing numbers and tunes they are talking about actual timing not map timing.

this is why i always graph map vs rpm vs actual timing aswell as a ton of other things while tuning.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
this is true, but generally when people speak of timing numbers and tunes they are talking about actual timing not map timing.

this is why i always graph map vs rpm vs actual timing aswell as a ton of other things while tuning.
but even then... the ECU doesnt know where the dizzy is set. and if its not synced properly the values you see in ectune/s300/neptune will be wrong.

and the values will just be wrong no matter how well its sync'd if u use crome. (haha)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts