Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I race a pavement circle track 91 civic. I currently run a front sway bar and I am looking for ways to make it turn a little better. I want to preload the sway bar to put more load on the left front wheel/tire to help keep it planted to the ground. I am unsure what I should do. Should I crank the links down on the left side? Should I put a bigger spacer in and then crank it down? Looking for some help. Thanks!!

Also I am not looking to change springs or remove the sway bar right now(I may do this in the future but not looking to do that right now)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Create more space between the sway bar and your left control arm.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
If you want your left wheel to have down force on it, you would need to use a longer link on that side VS the other side.

Think about i tlike this... the shorter link will "set the gap" between the sway bar and the control arm.

Then the longer link on the side you want to have pushed down. By putting a longer link here, u have to stress the sway bar up (and away from the control arm) to fit the longer link. This creates a downward push from the sway bay onto the control arm. The sway bar wants the gap to be the same on both sides so its neutral.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Raise the RR....
Oh thats a really good idea, probably better than what I said for sure. Good call bone that would weight the opposite corner. Experience talking there I bet eh!:bigok: repped. Because what I said would put an upwards force the RH side LCA, you would have to counter act that with spring preload or something.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
Can be done with tire stagger as well. Or washers between the shock hat and mounting point.

Cheating or just being creative????

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm Playing by the rules just trying to be creative and I'm looking to see if there is a simple way to make it handle a little better without doing anything major. The car is pretty fast as it is, this is just some fine tuning to make it better

I do have 3 washers between the rr top hat and body to raise the rr a little, I also have 3 small spring rubbers in the right rear.

If I read what danz said. Should I really have a spacer in the left front link to lengthen it or should it be on the right front? I'd like to not have to play with anything else right now besides the sway bar pre load?

Edit: can't run different size tires for stagger.

·
Registered
844 Posts
What r you running for tires, pressure, and how many laps are you running? How much bank and how big a track we talking about here. I have preloads the bar with a long link on one side and no link on the other, just bolted directly to the lca. Very little difference. It's all in the tire for hornets. That and BIG BALLS

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't have time right now to change all my springs around to take out the sway bar. I've tried it and didn't work with my current spring package.

Race junkie. I'm simply looking for what side I should preload my sway bar to see if it helps.what side did you hVe a large spacer in and the other bolted to the lca? It may not make a difference it might just looking for some direction.

I run falken azeni 615k. Not looking to change tires only looking for answers on preloading sway bar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts