Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, i've assembled most of my parts and should be able to start building soon, hopefully i can get some constructive criticism going in the thread to make sure everything goes right.

the list:
A6 block
Z6 head
FJt Vitara bottom end kit
-acl standard size bearings
-75mm pistons
Go autoworks, cast a/c mani
ARP head studs
Y8 2 layer headgasket

the questions:
8.5:1 the vitara kit brings compression to is a bit low for my liking, according to zeals calculator milling .060" off the head would bring compression to 9:1 or so but it doesnt adjust the head's cc's for milling. is it still gonna be ok or should i not take off as much?

Tuesday i picked up a turbo, some piping with bov, and an intercooler off a kid on craigslist. The intercooler is ok but the turbo is a bit unknown, its in good condition but i dont know what it is, the name on it says AIRResearch which as far as i could find out is a garrett. here pics, as best as i could get with camera phone:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
.060 seems like a LOT of meat to take off of a head just to raise compression....But, thats just me, not sure when you would need to start worrying about valve clearance

·
Registered
487 Posts
Honestly 8.5:1 is fine in my book. I ran 7.5:1 back in the days and it drove like a normal z6. Just means more room for error and run more timing.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I wouldnt worry bout milling the head that much..just enough to make sure its perfectly flat.. as for the turbo yes airreaserch and garrett are the same does that say .36? It looks like a very small turbo. Any other markings on it?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I wouldnt take that much off the head. I would run a 2 layer or more boost. Really its fine the way it is.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
well some ppl dont like how lose the p2w clearance is on std bore (anyone correct me if im wrong).... but if your cyl walls only need a hone 75mm will be fine. now if you needed a bore different story.... imho you can take .060 off the head but i wouldnt... do .030-.040 and youll still have plenty of meat for later.... besure tho to check p2v clearance just to be safe..

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
75.5mm give a cunt hair more compression right?.
i unless im retarded and misred somewhere oversized pistons do not raise comprsssion... if anything it will lower it since there is more surface area so the area fuel mixture is spread out alil...... (someone chime in if im wroung or retarded)

·
Registered
48 Posts
i unless im retarded and misred somewhere oversized pistons do not raise comprsssion... if anything it will lower it since there is more surface area so the area fuel mixture is spread out alil...... (someone chime in if im wroung or retarded)
if you get an oversized piston (75.5, or 76mm) you will suck in more air, when you go back up to tdc and compress more air into the same combustion chamber, you will have effectively, raised the compression.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
if you get an oversized piston (75.5, or 76mm) you will suck in more air, when you go back up to tdc and compress more air into the same combustion chamber, you will have effectively, raised the compression.
but you not changing the compression height(vitaras have a -15/11cc dish right) unless you change that you are not changing the cr.. you would have to change the piston for a change in cr...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts