Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my 96 civic ex 's power windows have been acting weird. My drivers side switch works most of the time for the drivers side window, but never for the passenger side window. The passenger side window is 50/50 when it wants to work and most of the time will only want to go up, not down. Does this sound like a wiring issue? It doesn't seem like the switches are bad... anyone experience any of these issues before?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
It sounds like a wiring issue but could be switch. I don't see both switching going bad at the same time tho. Check the wires in between the door and body for brakes,might be hard to see.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Sorry man I don't know the wire colors.

Your looking for this or something like it. Might not be that noticeable.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

holy damn that whole connector was toast... alright sounds good. Ill start digging and see what I come up with.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Your problem might not be by the plug like the pic. Could be in the middle where the wires bend and you may not see the brake as it could be broken under the jacket of the wire. Not saying this is or isn't your problem but it is a common problem and a good place to start.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah it might not be nearly that obvious. Pull back the sleeve and look really closely. Those wires have been exposed to 20 years of cold winters and the small gauge can easily deteriorate over time. Bust out the multimeter to quickly narrow things down.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts

yeah, that seems to be a pretty common thing. had a buddy of mine whose driver side did the same thing. went to a junk yard, cut a newer male pigtail off and soldered and heat shrunk it onto the old wiring. worked like a dream, except now his window motors are junk

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
yeah, that seems to be a pretty common thing. had a buddy of mine whose driver side did the same thing. went to a junk yard, cut a newer male pigtail off and soldered and heat shrunk it onto the old wiring. worked like a dream, except now his window motors are junk
I've been looking for new plugs and pins but no luck. The window motors are the 2nd common problem.

·
4,045 Posts
did Honda make them different between 92-95 and 96-00?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Ex
422 Posts
On my ek I had 2 bad wires on the pass side. Print out some pages from the fm and use a test light. You can also test the switches with a multimeter. Time consuming tho.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will pull off the fenders and do some detective work as soon as time allows... thanks for the tips and potential leads on where the problem may be everyone :)

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just wanted to touch base with everyone after I found out the gremlin I had with the windows. As stated above Hondas and a lot of other older cars over time tend to break wires in the door(inside the boot), by the connector. Well ladies and gentlemen, that was the case. I took a little different route however. I wanted to fix the problem and still re-use the connectors that snap in the door. So I snipped off the wires from each connector. I hollowed out the connector on each end. I wanted to make sure there was plenty of room for the wires to pass without any issues. I then proceeded to re-solder, heat shrink and extend every single wire in the boot. After several hours I completed the task. Everything works perfectly again. I know there are other ways to do this, but I feel this was the best way to do it. Im not too worried about the passenger side boot/wires, due to the fact I drove the car the past 10+ years on and off with little to no passengers. Thanks for the help on pointing me in to the proper direction everyone ;)

Attachments

·
4,045 Posts
high 5 slo! called it

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
holy damn that whole connector was toast... alright sounds good. Ill start digging and see what I come up with.

Could have swore I posted in here but yep very common problem, Ron j helped me diagnose my windows on my 96 hx coupe and that was a picture I took to show him what I found after diagnosing the problem. Now I own a 99 ex sedan and same problem occurred but with the power locks instead of the windows, this time I depinned them all and heat shrinked every wire and used but connectors on a couple wires. Everything was working good for a month and now my rear passenger window quit working, pretty sure one of the wires broke.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts