Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
I like 1/4 mile drag
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent been on in a long time, but im still kickin my civic around with the new b16a and its running great.

1997 EJ8 Coupe Si(Canada) EX USDM
Problem: Power window Gear

the other day my drivers side window wouldent go up all the way is stopped about an inch from the top of the door. so I went to my buds place and ripped the door panel off, took a look and turns out the motor was all fine and dandy but the gear the motor spins; the big one that looks like its half a circle had about 3 teeth broke off and a couple after pretty badly stripped.

My question is, does anyone know if its possible to replace just the larger gear or is it part of the whole motor as a unit. I couldent really get a good look when the door panel was off. If its possible to replace just the gear anybody know where i can buy the part? Honda? aftermarket? if its easier to replace the whole unit thats fine. has anybody had this problem before?

thanks alot for any information!!

·
Registered
I like 1/4 mile drag
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it looks like your right, hard to tell its a small diagram. i might just stop in with honda see what they say. it looks easy enough to replace, probably better if i replace the whole unit anyway.

·
Registered
98 Ex Coupe
2 Posts
I just replaced mine. I bought the whole unit off ebay, motor and regulator. Just pull the glass and remove 6 bolts. It only took about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
01 Gsr And 06 Xrunne
231 Posts
for the price of it i would just replace the whole assembly unless someone can find that part alone

·
Registered
99 Civic EX Coupe
28 Posts
if its the big half circle piece then you will need a new window regulator. they are made from a pretty soft metal and the teeth get ground down at the point where the window is almost all the way up. same thing happened to me. i bought one regulator and replaced it, a week later the other side did the same thing. be gentle bolting it all back together as it is a soft metal and the threads will strip easily, and use plenty of lube on the tracks and stuff.

·
Registered
I like 1/4 mile drag
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome thanks guys thats good info. Ill probably get on to it this wednesday me and my buddies get together every wednesday to work on eachothers cars with whatever needs done, its more of an excuse to get drunk half way through the week ;).
ill try and do a DIY write up on it so we can have a sticky for it.

·
Registered
99 Civic EX Coupe
28 Posts
good idea on the sticky since i think this is a pretty common prob.

while you've got the door apart get some peal n seal from a hardware store and sound proof the door skin

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just replaced mine. I bought the whole unit off ebay, motor and regulator. Just pull the glass and remove 6 bolts. It only took about 30 minutes.
yeah i bought mine from ebay as well, i just replaced the whole unit. i believe this problem is common with 96-00s anyways its real easy, shouldnt even take 30 min

·
Registered
99 Civic EX Coupe
28 Posts
yeah i bought mine from ebay as well, i just replaced the whole unit. i believe this problem is common with 96-00s anyways its real easy, shouldnt even take 30 min
so long as you don't break anything. all the plastic crap is pretty brittle by now

·
Registered
I like 1/4 mile drag
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just an update, I priced out the regulator for the drivers side window and it is $60 Canadian. I ordered one and ill be installing it wednesday so ill do up a DIY guide with pictures then!! :)

·
Registered
99 Civic EX Coupe
28 Posts
how does that convert to american? mine was almost $100US for a new unit. obviously wouldn't trust used

1 - 13 of 13 Posts