Honda D Series Forum banner

Power steering

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  EFB055 
#1 ·
Hey guys aside from changing out the rack what's the easiest way if any to do power steering delete 98 civic?

#6 ·
Word of warning, as someone who has looped their rack before I knew better, it does work and it is simple and pretty straight forward, but YOU WILL inevitably blow out your inner rack seals from all of the pressure created while turning and nowhere for the pressure to go.

My rack is currently leaking and as someone who worked as a certified Honda technician at a Honda dealer for 7+ years, re-sealing a rack almost never works long term. Best fix is to replace it with a re-man.

So, if you want to save yourself having to replace your rack down the road because you blew the seals on it, I would HIGHLY recommend going with the Chase Bays route. It's a clean install, very affordable, and most importantly, it gives a place for all of that pressure to go while you turn your rack back and forth. Just my two cents.

#13 ·
Also, if you really wanted to test the theory, a quick and dirty way to do it would be to turn your steering wheel lock to lock while at a stop. Then, remove one of the ends of the loop and turn the wheel again. Yes, you will make a mess with power steering fluid, (I said quick and DIRTY didn't I, haha) but what you will notice is the steering effort is definitely reduced. Because now the pressure actually has somewhere to go and isn't constrained by the flow limitations of the rack. Just a thought

#15 ·
Raven, that was a TIME ATTACK CAR.

Not a street car.

looping the rack is as cheap as $40 spent on ebay.

Put a breather in there and run the top near the hood hindge if you want to lighten the feeling of the rack.

And always make sure your tires are properly inflated. Helps steering ability, and reduces stress on rack.

NEVER seen a rack blow seals when looped. The rack is only powered because of the gear ratio of the rack.

BEST solution is to actually install a manual non-power rack with a matching U-joint, as power and manual steering coloumns DO DIFFER across the cars.

EDIT $500 reman rack..... you are getting robbed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.