Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys aside from changing out the rack what's the easiest way if any to do power steering delete 98 civic?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks slo. Think might go with the chase bays route. Seems like the safer way then just looping. May extend the life of the rack hopefully. Only reason deleting is cause the pump is in the way for my new header.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Word of warning, as someone who has looped their rack before I knew better, it does work and it is simple and pretty straight forward, but YOU WILL inevitably blow out your inner rack seals from all of the pressure created while turning and nowhere for the pressure to go.

My rack is currently leaking and as someone who worked as a certified Honda technician at a Honda dealer for 7+ years, re-sealing a rack almost never works long term. Best fix is to replace it with a re-man.

So, if you want to save yourself having to replace your rack down the road because you blew the seals on it, I would HIGHLY recommend going with the Chase Bays route. It's a clean install, very affordable, and most importantly, it gives a place for all of that pressure to go while you turn your rack back and forth. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Word of warning, as someone who has looped their rack before I knew better, it does work and it is simple and pretty straight forward, but YOU WILL inevitably blow out your inner rack seals from all of the pressure created while turning and nowhere for the pressure to go.

My rack is currently leaking and as someone who worked as a certified Honda technician at a Honda dealer for 7+ years, re-sealing a rack almost never works long term. Best fix is to replace it with a re-man.

So, if you want to save yourself having to replace your rack down the road because you blew the seals on it, I would HIGHLY recommend going with the Chase Bays route. It's a clean install, very affordable, and most importantly, it gives a place for all of that pressure to go while you turn your rack back and forth. Just my two cents.
how long does it take for the seals to blow out?

·
Registered
461 Posts
how long does it take for the seals to blow out?
Depends, but they will eventually. I would just say check your rack, if it's not leaking, awesome. Then the next step would be to order the Chase Bays kit, install, and take comfort in the knowledge that your rack is no longer screaming for help from the pressure overload, haha.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This is the whole point of looping the rack though, the pressure goes from one side of the seal to the other via the loop. There's no reason for the pressure to build if the rack is looped.
There's a reason why the Chase Bays website mentions the fact that they had two different racks blow out on their time attack Civic, because that's what will happen when you just loop the line on itself.

Yes, I see what you're saying and it does make sense logically that looping it SHOULD be fine....but in actual practice, it isn't. The reason for that, is the pressure is just too great for the loop in itself to be enough. The factory power steering setup has a reservoir with a vented cap for a reason, the pressure needs somewhere to go. Trust me, don't loop your rack, you'll only regret it down the road. I'm about to buy a $500 reman rack for this very reason. In the end though, it's up to the owner to do what they choose. All I can do is share the knowledge I have from years of experience working on Honda's for a living.

Hope this info is helpful to you guys.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Also, if you really wanted to test the theory, a quick and dirty way to do it would be to turn your steering wheel lock to lock while at a stop. Then, remove one of the ends of the loop and turn the wheel again. Yes, you will make a mess with power steering fluid, (I said quick and DIRTY didn't I, haha) but what you will notice is the steering effort is definitely reduced. Because now the pressure actually has somewhere to go and isn't constrained by the flow limitations of the rack. Just a thought

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Raven, that was a TIME ATTACK CAR.

Not a street car.

looping the rack is as cheap as $40 spent on ebay.

Put a breather in there and run the top near the hood hindge if you want to lighten the feeling of the rack.

And always make sure your tires are properly inflated. Helps steering ability, and reduces stress on rack.

NEVER seen a rack blow seals when looped. The rack is only powered because of the gear ratio of the rack.

BEST solution is to actually install a manual non-power rack with a matching U-joint, as power and manual steering coloumns DO DIFFER across the cars.

EDIT $500 reman rack..... you are getting robbed

·
Registered
463 Posts
that's what will happen when you just loop the line on itself.
When you loop a rack, you don't loop it 'on itself'. You join one (former) pressure side to the other. All you're doing is giving the fluid a path to equalize over. When you loop the rack, make sure there is fluid in there obviously, but don't fill it up full. Just enough to lubricate, unlike a manual rack it uses the hydraulic fluid to lubricate.

The seal you're saying can't handle the pressure, is the pressure seal. It's up to the task, unless you've looped the line onto itself...

Of course, seals are also wear items. Some will just leak over time. Particularly because there's no way of monitoring fluid levels, so it's possible for it to run dry without the owner knowing, in which case it will wear much faster.

I ran a looped rack for 6 years with no noticeable wear issues, swapping to a manual rack recently because i prefer the rack ratio.

Chasebays are also selling product, of course they'll suggest the best way to do something is via purchasing their stuff...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts