Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i need to remove my power steering for my turbo install, will i need to buy a block off plate or a removal kit in order for it to work, or is it as simple as pulling it off and tossing it.

thanks

·
D-series WTF?!?!
Dyno GT Racing Bike
3,674 Posts
simply but dont toss it ppl might wanna buy this in the future but who knows um good luck there is many line that have to be handle with and unbolted!!!

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I would take it all out if your going to remove it. weight reduction......
I would think a vac. pump or the like would help to remove all the fluid first.
Try honda-tech. I've been doing some research on there and there is so much info in the archives.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
simply but dont toss it ppl might wanna buy this in the future but who knows um good luck there is many line that have to be handle with and unbolted!!!
yeah i wasnt going to just toss it. I said that so everyone could get the idea that i wanted it out................I guess it wasnt really needed for me to say that huh? :hammer:

I would take it all out if your going to remove it. weight reduction......
I would think a vac. pump or the like would help to remove all the fluid first.
Try honda-tech. I've been doing some research on there and there is so much info in the archives.
But i do or dont need to run a block off plate after removing it?

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I dunno for sure. I'm guessing it's a self contained unit. I mean all the fluid should just run in to the resivor. so if you remove everything there shouldn't be anything to block off.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
why would you need to take it off. i understand why you have to take out a/c, but is there something that is going to stick out in the way of the pump.

ryan

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dunno for sure. I'm guessing it's a self contained unit. I mean all the fluid should just run in to the resivor. so if you remove everything there shouldn't be anything to block off.
that was my understanding also, but i remember seeing a thread about power steering removal kits, but i cant find the thread anymore.........if you find any info on h-t about it, let me know

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why would you need to take it off. i understand why you have to take out a/c, but is there something that is going to stick out in the way of the pump.

ryan
it depends on which way i have to mount the turbo in there. If my dp runs over toward the driver side, then i will need to remove it. My dp is designed to run toward the passenger side, so hopefully i can do that. But even if i do that, i will need to find a place to fit a filter on the turbo, and i think the pump could get in the way of that. im not sure, but it seems alot of people have to remove their p/s with bigger turbos. mine has a .70 compressor, so its not exactly small.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
stealthmode sells a p/s removal kit. But if you're serious about removing it, you should look into swapping in a manual steering rack; this will make steering easier than running a pwr steering rack without p/s.... since you already have the motor out; either way should be easy...

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
You can loop the P/S rack. There's a how to on H-T.
The Power rack has a faster ratio than the Manual rack, so it will be a bit harder to steer. Honestly, manual steering is great when you're going faster than 10 mph, and power steering kind of deadens road feel...
I personally have a civic DX that came with a manual rack and I am swapping in an Integra P/S Rack to get the faster ratio.

I am taking a slightly 'innovative' approach by putting an electric power steering pump, instead of the engine driven one.
The reason I'm going with electric power steering is that I love the manual steering on the highway, but for autoX power steering and a faster rack are useful. Also, I would like to get my GF more into driving the car and hopefully racing it with me, and she hates the manual rack at slow speeds...

Bottom line -
If the car is a dd or is driven by your girlfriend, keep the P/S
If you autocross, keep the P/S
If you're the only one driving and don't mind the extra effort, loop the P/S rack.
If you're the only one driving and you've already looped your P/S rack and find it too hard, then go ahead and change to a manual rack... I might be selling one in a few months.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Dude, for your safety!!! Buy a non PS rack and pinion!
Using your PS steering without its pump can be dangerous if u ever loss control (hope u never)
The PS rack and pinion is harder to turn w/out its pump VS a non PS rack and pinion.

Cheers
However, I have to point out that a PS rack with PS pump removed is great for autox since the ratio of steering wheel to wheel turn is larger. Yes it's harder to turn but you don't have to turn the steering wheel as much to make the wheels turn. Plus you get a real good feel for the road... :mikej:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
However, I have to point out that a PS rack with PS pump removed is great for autox since the ratio of steering wheel to wheel turn is larger. Yes it's harder to turn but you don't have to turn the steering wheel as much to make the wheels turn. Plus you get a real good feel for the road... :mikej:
I can understand it on a racing purpouse. But I had the PS belt broken once.. and I had to drive trough a rural area with lots of short turns...

It's not pleasent, no road feel, and quite dangerous.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I can understand it on a racing purpouse. But I had the PS belt broken once.. and I had to drive trough a rural area with lots of short turns...

It's not pleasent, no road feel, and quite dangerous.
Looping the P/S is not the same as having a broken belt. The broken belt does not allow fluid to move, and kind of locks the rack in place. In a looped/vented rack you don't get the fluid resistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts