Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Mk3 Golf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a repost but I was wondering if anybody here deleted their power steering? I heard there is a much more positive feel with steering. I would also love to get it out of the way. (Replacing my alternator last weekend sparked this idea, along with tubular manifold plans.) Is there any alterations that anyone recommends for the steering rack? If anybody had any useful info about this topic it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
Mk3 Golf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what a drag. i did a quick search and didnt find jack on em2 info. maybe im just special.

·
Registered
94 civic... duh
161 Posts
dude...i took 3 minutes to find this. if its "such a drag" to search for something you want to know about why dont you just curl up into a ball and give up on cars man

DIY: Removing Power Steering - Honda Civic Forum
I have been a member for a long time and have very few posts because I have searched everything and you know what I think? The search here sucks, mostly because a lot of people don't use search-friendly titles. instead its some thing like this.... "oh noez i haz a problem!"

If you are so knowledgeable about the site and info this guy needs, post a link and /thread. maybe get some rep in return

Don't chastise your fellow civic comrades, help someone out or don't post! really tired of the flaming going around here its just like H-T...

/rant

·
Registered
Mk3 Golf
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If you are so knowledgeable about the site and info this guy needs, post a link and /thread. maybe get some rep in return" -94CivTLC

Thanks man, Im not a pro on navigating this site yet sorry

By the way I didnt think to look in such as simple area as the diy section, i didnt know this was so common. i just thought to do it because im just that cool. There are cars in Hawaii? I must be really ignorant.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
I know I have a 5th gen but the concept is basically the same, all you have to do is use your own good judgement to see how to hook everything up so the fluid flows in a continuous loop too and from the rack. I looped my rack through the reservoir so it acts like a breather and keeps the rack full of fluid at all times. I also wanted to make it look as OEM as possible and since all the parts are there and are free, it just took a little bit of cleverness to organize it all and put it together:

Since the rack is no longer fed by a pump which absorbs heat from the engine and creates heat itself during operation, I was able to remove the p/s cooler lines from the front of the car and loop them to the resevoir. There are 2 fitting on the side of the resevoir which I used for them and where the rubber lines attach to would have previously gone to the cooler loop in the front of the car.

What I did here was for the main line, I cut off the high pressure pump end fitting using a pipe cutter. After de-burring and cleaning the end, I used the existing low pressure pump feel hose from the bottom of the resevoir, measured and cut it so it would fit over the end of the high-pressure line. I then used hose clamps to seal everything up.

Almost looks OEM doesn't it? :bigok:

Another view of the two cooler lines running to the resevoir and the main line from the bottom of the reservoir.

Finished product.

What is hard to see in the above pic is the high-pressure pump fitting has a stepped end, that being it is two different diameters. When you cut the fitting end off of the smaller line, it steps up to a larger end and then terminates at the crimped section. I left a small length of the smaller diameter line to give support to the hose and then clamped it to the larger diameter section.

While I'm probably not explaining it right or helping anyone out any better with it, you will see what I mean if you do it. As for the cutting and measuring of the hose, it is already pre-formed a certain way from the factory to come out from the bottom of the resevoir to feed the pump. So it's just a matter of seeing where you have to cut so the angle is right.

I just copy-and-pasted the above from another thread I had posted in where the pics don't show up because I changed my Flikr account. I'll make a new Flikr album for my P/S removal soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
That should definitely go in the DIY, I just did it on my 6th gen and it worked great.

It's even easier on the 6th gen. Use a pipe cutter on the high pressure line and then use a hose clamp to secure it in the line out from the bottom of the reservoir, and boom. Done. Under 30 min.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Power steering removal is pretty much the same on the 7thgen as it is on the others except we do not have a PS cooler. it feels good on the highway but if you have to drive in the city and do a lot of parking it sucks. if you just want it gone off the block you could always put in an EP3 rack cause it has an electrical power steering pump on the rack. or you could also get the MR2 electrical power steering pump and make a high pressure line and mount the pump where ever their is an article in honda tuning about that one

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't know if it would fit on the 7th gen, but you may also have the option of getting a 5th or 6th gen factory manual steering rack.

·
Registered
61 Posts
won't fit at all 7thgen basically uses an RSX rack and we don't have anything close to the subframe you guys do for your rack plus since you guys run double whishbone front end and we run Mcpherson strut the tie rods don't hook up the same at all.

But man that would be really nice though I really like the 5th and 6th gen manual racks they are just right

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.