Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to remove my power steering and ac on my sohc zc.

will this make ANY noticeable difference? I figure it would be like underdrive pulleys basically, right?

second, would I need a new kind of belt or something or would everything work with stock parts. The car is not here and I haven't looked at it yet. Sorry for the noob question.

edit: last question - to bump up compression in my sohc zc without paying to get it taken to a machine shop... what should I do? my guy has the engine still out of the car... looking for simple ways to gain HP outside of intake, header, exhaust for a nice little daily.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
It wont make a big enough difference
Leave the power steering if its in working condition.
And you can only up the compression by getting a thinner head gasket or different pistons. Other then that your have to mil the head or get flat top valves.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what pistons would work in the sohc zc and will they work on stock rods orwould I have to buy those too? how much work is it to install new pistons?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I gained ~.2whp by removing the power steering belt. Also ac compressor only actually takes power when its on....so unless you press the button its not really pulling any noticeable power.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,472 Posts
what pistons would work in the sohc zc and will they work on stock rods orwould I have to buy those too? how much work is it to install new pistons?
been here since 2010.....the elusive search function must be very elusive

·
Registered
176 Posts
Removing your ac wont make a very noticeable difference in power since like gearhead98 said the ac compressor has a clutch. It is pretty heavy though everything including the evaporator core in the cab weighed like 50ish pounds if i remember correctly. Im sure PS prob weighs a bit too if you removed both and added a non PS crank pulley you'd prob notice a difference.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Removing your ac wont make a very noticeable difference in power since like gearhead98 said the ac compressor has a clutch. It is pretty heavy though everything including the evaporator core in the cab weighed like 50ish pounds if i remember correctly. Im sure PS prob weighs a bit too if you removed both and added a non PS crank pulley you'd prob notice a difference.
So much work for such little gain, what is this, a racecar ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lol no i wish, just a beaten dd. Got a free lightweight battery in a trade the other day, then decided to see how much weight i could shed for free. Gutted ac, rear hatch interior, some stuff under the dash, spare/jack, radio/speakers, rear wipers/fluid reservoir, it was A LOT of weight. If your the kind of person that needs luxury this isnt for you, but i dont mind at all. That plus my d15beast7 build should really wake the car up :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well... to make a little power simple then...

does the skunk2 intake manifold work on auto trans? is there any difference? does it matter?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dont get an aftermarket Intake manifold you wont notice any gains on a stock motor especially an auto, aftermarket manifolds and bigger TB's are overkill for your setup. Since you have an auto just get short ram intake, cat back exhaust(2.25 work great for na d series) and 4-2-1 header those will net you the most gains for your money.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got ebay header and full exhaust sitting here, and a short ram. looking to do a little bit more but not sure what else to do. underdrives suck from what I hear because they kill your charging (and i've had them on a 4.6 v8 before, steeda brand, and did the same thing. Not sure if there's anything else I can do bolt on wise?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,472 Posts
so, um.....when did it matter to put intakes on an automatic trans? Im confused. my head hurts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
slo-you are contributing nothing to the convo.stop trying to get a higher post count to grow your epeen and move along.

second...why wouldn't i be able to make gains with an auto trans, i realize it sucks, and it is a daily,not a racecar but some improvement is still improvement.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
The point is there are no gains, or very little. Unless you are willing to go further, like real power adders, then the IHE are nominal at best, and in your current state money is better spent elsewhere.

If you dont want to hear that, then do it anyway, and enjoy the difference in sound your car makes. I do on the daily, and never asked these guys if it was cool or how much it gains, because it does little of either.

As far as bolt ons - I would bolt a manual trans upto the motor and go from there.

Slo has a point though, if you cant see that then continue on your path of spending money where it gains nothing, and don't ask our opinions. It is your money, but you asked and we are answering.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,459 Posts
CAI is about only thing that will help with POS slushbox...that and A6 cam in advanced position.

Damn slushbox and its different usable powerband, that I've covered.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
slo-you are contributing nothing to the convo.stop trying to get a higher post count to grow your epeen and move along.

second...why wouldn't i be able to make gains with an auto trans, i realize it sucks, and it is a daily,not a racecar but some improvement is still improvement.
dcninja used Swiper-No-Swiping-esque complaint on Slo's post count!

The lag for the ecu to tell the auto rig to ring the gear out more would single handedly render any measly gain full of empty promises.

The gear ratios are also not in your favor... A 5 speed swap will net you the most gains compared to any other mod short of a mild build (or maybe even compared to a simple rebuild/refresh to regain back those lost horses).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the guy who said a6 cam told me a downgrade as the cam is slightly better in the zc lol

thanks for the info guys. i'll keep it intake header exhaust and just drive it

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
CAI is about only thing that will help with POS slushbox...that and A6 cam in advanced position.

Damn slushbox and its different usable powerband, that I've covered.

But I guess you are making progress? Eh... But I don't fully understand your response either lol...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts