Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody with a simular setup like i have what kinda bhp do you have?

Engine: D16Z6
Head info:
Ported & polished
Cut back valve's
Stage 3 JG cam
Megan 6 bolt adjustable cam gear
Skunk 2 Intake Manifold

Fuel System
AEM Fuel Rail
AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator
450cc Blue top Fuel Injector's
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

Block info:
Wiseco 8.1 comp. Pistons
Scat Rod's
Darton flanged sleeves
STR Block Guard

Turbo Info:
T3 - garrett
Waste Gate - Deltagate
Intercooler - Johnnyracecar fmic
Turbo Manifold - OBX
Blow Off Valve - HKS SSQ

Electronics:
E-manage
Turbo Timer - Greddy
Boost Controler - Greddy Profec B II
w/remote

O

·
0 Posts
POWER ANSWER!!!!!

you have WAY to many varibles to be 100% certain on what kind of performance you'll get. head poritng can loose up to 35hp or gain 35hp depending on how it was done.
cam same way
turbo, specs are vaige .48 ar is the exhaust side (at least i hope so otehrwise you have one of the tinest turbos.)

your going to need a t3/t4 turbo with a .48 exhaust and a 60 compressor housing using a 52, 54,or 57 trims. this will yeild good results for sure.

O

·
0 Posts
max effencency is about 12-14 psi. well belopw your capabilities. it might do like 19 psi but that's not giving you much except hot air and detonation.

O

·
0 Posts
if your doing autocross, then this turbo will work finel it will not product big top end numbers, but will product good low end numbers and sustain you better at lower rpm's. so if that's your case your fine.

if you want drag style numbers, then it's too small.

O

·
0 Posts
not to mention detonation would ne horrid. your heat temps woudl be extremely high due to pushign your turbo way beyond it's limits.

·
Banned
443 Posts
I wouldn't say that. I would say you are more prone to detonation on long high gear pulls, but nothing a little tweaking of the ignition tables won't sidestep. Really, the tiny turbine choking the flow of heat from the engine, and the typical log manifold lack of flow, means more to knock limit than 20 or 30 deg F extra intake temps.

Tuned properly, you'll wear out a turbo from overspinning it before you damage your engine.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Joey, i hate to say it but i strongly disagree. Look at the engines these T3s are on. All of them are on 2.0L engines with log manifolds. The chances of overspinning the turbine are limited. These arent b-series engines revving to 8k+. They are barely revving to 7k. Big difference in CFMs. Look at VW 1.8Ts. Those turbos are brought out of their efficency range any time you rev over 4000rpm. They dont last forever, but they last for a while.

·
Banned
443 Posts
bigwig said:
Joey, i hate to say it but i strongly disagree. Look at the engines these T3s are on. All of them are on 2.0L engines with log manifolds. The chances of overspinning the turbine are limited. These arent b-series engines revving to 8k+. They are barely revving to 7k. Big difference in CFMs. Look at VW 1.8Ts. Those turbos are brought out of their efficency range any time you rev over 4000rpm. They dont last forever, but they last for a while.
The chances of overspinning the turbine, when exceeding a T3's 2.0 PR efficiency cap on it's compressor map, is quite good. The sizing of the K03 on the 1.8T may be assinine, but the turbine speed is more or less fixed to a specific operating range by the wastegate event. When you start upping boost past the compressor's published map, shaft speed increases in an attempt to drive the compressor further.

My point was that although you can get a bit more than XXX whp out of any given turbo, especially straight T3, you do it by driving the turbine faster. Had a nifty compressor map to turbine shaft speed graph of a T3 once, don't have it on hand and don't remember it quite, but the 280 whp figures fjt's friend laid down on the .50 T3 are somewhere in the 175,000+ rpm range.

Do you still disagree with Joey? :shock:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Joseph Davis said:
The chances of overspinning the turbine, when exceeding a T3's 2.0 PR efficiency cap on it's compressor map, is quite good. The sizing of the K03 on the 1.8T may be assinine, but the turbine speed is more or less fixed to a specific operating range by the wastegate event. When you start upping boost past the compressor's published map, shaft speed increases in an attempt to drive the compressor further.

My point was that although you can get a bit more than XXX whp out of any given turbo, especially straight T3, you do it by driving the turbine faster. Had a nifty compressor map to turbine shaft speed graph of a T3 once, don't have it on hand and don't remember it quite, but the 280 whp figures fjt's friend laid down on the .50 T3 are somewhere in the 175,000+ rpm range.
Do you still disagree with Joey? :shock:
wow, where can i get my y8 to rev that high? j/k i think maybe the one should'nt have been there?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Nope, I still dont agree. 150k rpms..big deal. Its a dinky wheel. If its on the compressor map, that means it can run at that rpm. I know you know what a FOS is. There is no way that at 18-19psi its going to be over that FOS. If that was the case Garrett would be out of business because it would be completely assinine to do what you are suggesting. Its not like its a stage 1 wheel coupled to an enormous compressor and a log manifold. Both wheels are small. The compressor simply will not send out enough air to raise the exhaust manifold pressure to the point where the turbine is going to be taxed so much that there is complete faliure. It would take bringing things WAY out of the limits, thus the point of a FOS. Maybe if you were running an exhaust manifold with the volume the size of a coke can you could do what you are suggesting, but a log manifold with decent sized primaries will be fine. I love your posts Joey, but sometimes you get caught up in the minutiae so much so that it prevents you from seeing realistically what is happening.

If you can find me a t3(45, 50, or 60 trim) that was run on a 1.6-2.0L engine at something under 20psi with a decent log manifold that caused the turbo to fail based on those guidelines, then I'll believe what you are saying. Every piece of mathematical data doesnt agree with your opinion, especially from a basic engineering backround.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts