Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I tried to find a introduction section but didnt seem to find it anywehre..
Anyways, Im Sean im from Toronto, Ontario .. I have a 92 Civic EG Hatch that I am working on. Just got into this car scene as I am a bike guy but I felt like switching it up a little.

I have a k24a1 engine which I am going to stick a k20a2 head on there.. Just have to get the k20a2 and then buy the rest of parts.

But my question is this..
I have a stock engine (I believe its original) the d15y7 I beliebe it is, I dont think it is vtec.
When I try and pull it a little, it seems to lag when I switch gears until I hit about 5k RPM .. The engine seems strong, but just has this lag in it? :S
I was told to take it to the shop and they will hook it up to a vacuum and clean it all out.. Do you think that would help? Where should I be looking?! Please help..
I have friends with 92-95 EK Hatches and their engines pull better then mine does, can hit it hard and itll go strong for a little 1.5L lol ..

Thanks guys !

·
Registered
2014 Honda Civic Si
753 Posts
First off welcome :bigok:

Second here you can find the "intro section" you were looking for lol.
n00b Forum - D-series.org

Might need a little more info on the motor as well. Have you done like a basic tune up? Plugs, wires, etc? Might be a good place to start.

Again, welcome

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Havnt done a basic tune up, I got new spark plugs because when I bought the car it seemed to studder a little bit just idling so the spark plugs fixed that, I havnt gotten new wires but today I went to go start my car and it was just turning over, wouldnt start.. Popped the hood and just pushed the spark plug wires into the distributor more as well as the ones on the head and it started right away, so I guess last nights post spoke to my motor a little bit lol, going to get a new distributor and spark plug wires I guess and see if that solves any problems.. Never had this issue until today though so I still think the lag could be something else.. :\

BTW, I posted in the Intro section now aha cheers man

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Set the base ignition timing with a timing light. If you find that the distributo needs to be fully clocked to get the timing right (or close to right) then the mechanical timing is off by a tooth.
If its retarded a tooth it will make the engine have no balls down low.

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
Is your car weighted down alot? Low oil? Possibly cx or vx transmission are other options but of course do a tune up and check your timing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys,
I will post updates after I get the tune up and such done and see if it has solved the problem.

& Yes I know they don't have much power sadly, Im pretty sure I looked up if the d16y8 motor could easily swap into my car but I didnt find much good news.. Would definitely like to switch to a different d series for now just for more power they are pretty cheap for any d series around here lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really? How long roughly do you think it would take an average person that knows what they are doing to do either of those swaps? I think going to do some research of those motor specs and compare them, I could most likely get the engine in and out of the car, and unplug everything, Ive done plenty of motorbikes, but my problem with motorbikes is I have not a SINGLE CLUE about electronics, I hate them and they can cause too much complications and a car has way more wires and shxxxt for me to be able to handle lol

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
If im by myself if takes me a day 6-8 hours pulling and putting in the new swap if i stay focused lol but ive done a dozen or so swaps. There are tons of writeups on each one of these swaps after you do it once you realize how simple it really is. Just make sure you know its a good running swap beforehand and it creates less headaches during the swap

1 - 13 of 13 Posts