Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the most power you've seen out of a d16Y7 + turbo with a Stock head? Also, how much better can it get with building the head?(P&P, bigger valves etc..)

I am toying with the idea of building my Y7 head(since its stock) but i dunno if the power gains will be worth the hassle..I mean can i see like 30whp gains at the same PSI level with a worked head?

I got with the Stock y7 head 266whp 240lb/ft at 18PSI on a T3 Super 60 and now i am upgrading to a T3/t4e 57 trim hoping to reach 300whp(or more) on a stock head at the same 18PSI level...

So if i do get 300 with the stock head..could it be possible to get like 225-250 with a worked head at that same PSI or is it too much to ask?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well ive already passed that..How much increase (estimated) in power can a worked head give me with the turbo? 20whp? more? less?

·
Registered
280 Posts
so im guessin you already worked on the block if you are pushin 18 psi. just make sure whatever work you do to the head, dont do anything to significantly raise compression because the lower compression loves boost.

matt

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
96_civ said:
so im guessin you already worked on the block if you are pushin 18 psi. just make sure whatever work you do to the head, dont do anything to significantly raise compression because the lower compression loves boost.

matt
Yes my block is basicaly done with 8.5:1 pistons,Eagle rods and a Block guard.

O

·
0 Posts
fjt said:
Whats the most power you've seen out of a d16Y7 + turbo with a Stock head? Also, how much better can it get with building the head?(P&P, bigger valves etc..)

I am toying with the idea of building my Y7 head(since its stock) but i dunno if the power gains will be worth the hassle..I mean can i see like 30whp gains at the same PSI level with a worked head?

I got with the Stock y7 head 266whp 240lb/ft at 18PSI on a T3 Super 60 and now i am upgrading to a T3/t4e 57 trim hoping to reach 300whp(or more) on a stock head at the same 18PSI level...

So if i do get 300 with the stock head..could it be possible to get like 225-250 with a worked head at that same PSI or is it too much to ask?
ais your bottom end built? that's the weakest link in your motor right now is stock pistons, then stock rods.

as far as head performance, there are many factors. depending on how, and how it was ported what was ported and the demensions it was set to once it was ported, the quench area as well. a bad porting can cost you 35hp and a good porting can give you 35hp.

if your motor is not built, doign only a head will not make it run better. your going to have to install buillet rods and pistons in order to safly be able to get to those goals.

·
Registered
280 Posts
^ no he said he DID build his block already, there is no way he could be pushin 18 psi on a stock block.

and yea he COULD raise compression, but typically low compression is better with boost, thats all i was pointing out. i just said he shouldnt do anything to raise it "significantly"

matt

O

·
0 Posts
the higher the compression, the more likley detonation will occure thus making things less safe for the motor.

good tuning or not, there it's a tune out there that can compensate for a 45* temp change. (90 day and 45 night in desert) thus you would run lean or rich at some point and cause problems. this is an extreme example yes, but it's a very real possibility. lower compression allows for some safety zone to be had.
a 9:1 compression motor is a very good balance. it allows for clsoe to nomal NA driving when not using boost and it allows enough space for some errors. unless your building a race only vehical, then your going to need some sort of safety margin.

if your bottom end is build then if you get the head work done properly, with a better cam, then you could see a 35 hp gain. I personally recommend endyn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts