Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1999 civic ex
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a racecar with a d16y8 I have a battery kill switch that is hooked up to the car...so the problem that I'm having is that when the car is running and I turn the kill switch the car doesn't shut of..so I looked and I have only one power wire that runs from that switch to the fuse box under the hood and then there also one more wire that hooks up right next to the power wire that is part of the engine harness...when both of them are hooked up and the car is running the switch won't kill the car. But when I disconnect the wire that is part of the harness s the switch kills the car like it should...does anyone know why this could be happening? If I don't have that wire that's part of the harness hooked up then I don't think the alternator
Is charging the battery.

·
Registered
1999 civic ex
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did on wire goes from battery to fuse box and from battery to the starter ...then there's the other wire from the fuse box that is part of the engine harness. That is the wire that if is disconnected then it shuts off but remains running if it is connected to he fuss box

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am not to familiar with the d harnesses or actually where power is running through the car. However from what you described I don't think the switch is in an appropriate place to be used to isolate power.

From what you said you are only isolating the 12v source as the alternator's generated power is still circulating through the system powering everything.

This is a race car, most race cars use a double pole double throw switch to isolate both 12v from battery and ignition/alternator. You want to shut everything down now! Normally they are externally located so that officials can kill power in emergency situations.

·
Registered
1999 civic ex
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that is what I'm trying to accomplish is a kill switch for the officials to be able to shut down all power to the car. So I have the one power wire from the battery to the switch and then fromthe switch to the. Engine fuse box. Does anyone know how I have to wire it so that it kills all the power that the alternator is making that keeps the ignition on and motor running?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can locate the ignition wire, the one coming from your steering column and isolate that.

Having the 12v source and the ignition isolated will stop the engine. You don't necessarily have to isolate the alternator as well, as it will only generate power for a second or so whilst the engine comes to complete stop. Unless your racing regs require it.

In AUS we generally do not use electrical switches to cut power for racing situations, we use mechanical switches that are operated by a cable both inside cabin from drivers and from location outside car, generally A pillar drivers, indicated by a large triangle decal.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
All you need to do is take the wire from the alternator and run it to the kill switch.

So one wire from battery pos to one side of kill switch than 3 wires from the other side of kill switch,one to starter,one to under hood fuse box and one to the alternator.

·
Registered
844 Posts
this was just covered

search battery master kill for the thread

Put switch on power to the ignition and ecu

no ecu= 0000rpm

I make all connections behind the stock key switch easy as pie

·
Registered
1999 civic ex
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok ill give that thread a look and let you guys know how it turns out tonight. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1999 civic ex
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can I use leave the switch the way it is and instead of running the alternator wire to the fuse box.like normal can I just run it back to the batter bypassing the switch? Then it can power everything at the fuse book

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
The alternator will continue to charge and even with the battery disconnected the car will continue to run. You HAVE TO have disconnect the alternator output also or else it won't turn off. Either run the alternator wire all the way back to the kill switch and back or an equivalent. The battery is there to start the car, the alternator is there to power everything.

·
Registered
1999 civic ex
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well really the battery powers everything the alternator is there to keep the battery fully charged because most guys don't even use and alternator when racing since the motor runs faster without the strainer of turning the alternator..so they just charge the battery before every race

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
The alt is still putting out power to charge the battery and that power is what's keeping your motor running when the disconnect is off. Thus you need to run a wire from the alt to the disconnect switch in order to kill the motor.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you have the ignition key switch plug, or if its still installed in your race car which sux pull that bitch. Simple Jack could figure out how to wire it in. If the key can shut your car through that plug then so can you. Even keeping the plug would be a possibility and wire it to that point

·
Registered
1999 civic ex
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so I just ran the atlternator wire to the battery instead of the going to the fuse box...my switch now shuts off complete power to the car and it no longer runs of the power of the alternator..thank you to everyone for the help

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
925 Posts
there is a couple problems with the way you currently have this wired.

1. the alternator is constantly connected to the battery and will drain it
2. there is now no fuse or overload protection between the alternator and the battery

I would suggest finding a fuse able link of some kind to put in that circuit to prevent a fire. needs to support 60 Amps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts