Honda D Series Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
This was pretty good:

Just some orange chicken I made of the cuff. Mother in law came home and said "do something with that chicken, you are more inventive than me". So I dug around in her fridge, found some carrots, a large onion, and an orange bell pepper and some of those little clementine oranges and decided on orange chicken.

Some coconut oil and sesame oil in a LARGE skillet, chopped up the onion and a couple cloves of garlic, started cutting up the 6 chicken breasts while that was cooking and tossed them in as I cut them. Grated up a couple carrots and sliced up the orange bell pepper and tossed them in, then I peeled and blended up 7 of the clementine oranges with some corn starch and mixed it in real well.

After that I added about a teaspoon of ground ginger, a teaspoon of red pepper flakes, some ground red pepper, a little salt and a little sugar.

Came out pretty excellent, usually my mother in law eats like a bird but she actually went back for a second bowl of this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Easy and delicious baked salmon + veggie saute and rice

Made this for my girl last night and she loved it :)

Here's what you will need:

Salmon + marinade-
Salmon, either sides or steaks.
Soy sauce
Italian dressing
Garlic, minced

Veggie saute-
broccoli/cauliflower
mushrooms
bell pepper
soy beans
cashews
red onions
rosemary
crushed red pepper
black pepper
garlic, minced

Rice
1 cup rice to 3 cups water (one cup is more than enough for two)

1. Mix up the marinade:
-Lay some aluminum foil in a large pyrex baking dish
-Pour in italian dressing and soy sauce, about a 1:1 ratio or to taste
-Add a good amount of garlic, at least a few cloves
-Mix it all up
-Lay your salmon in the marinade. Coat both sides, and lay the flesh side down. Let it soak for 15 minutes. Start your veggies and rice while you wait.
-Flip your salmon so the skin side is down. Coat the top side with marinade, and be sure to get some garlic on there. Let it soak for another 15 minutes. Preheat your oven to 450.
-Once your salmon has finished soaking in the marinade, throw it in the oven for 10-14 minutes (depends on the thickness of the fish). When the salmon is ready, it will flake when you insert a fork into it.
-BBQ Alternative: you can also throw the salmon on the barbeque. Preheat the barbeque, lay some foil down on the grate and poke some holes in it. Put the salmon on skin side down. Cook 4-6 minues on each side, flipping once.

2. Start the rice:
-Pour three cups of water for every cup of rice into a large pot. Bring to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat to a simmer. I also add some olive oil and cumin seeds. Allow rice to simmer until water has cooked off.

3. Start your veggies:
-Add whatever veggies you like (or consult list above) into a large skillet with some olive oil over medium heat. Add your spices to taste (rosemary, crushed red pepper, black pepper, whatever else you like). Saute your veggies to the desired effect, but don't overcook them, unless you're into that. I add the garlic towards the end.

Enjoy!

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
5,973 Posts
^^^ :ttiwwop: :stuart:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lemon, Dill and Butter salmon.
Easiest thing in the world to make, and it's fantastic.
Melt some butter over low heat, squeeze some lemon juice in then whisk.
Turn off heat, add in chopped dill to taste.
Put salmon in tin foil, and pour lemon/butter/dill mix over top.
Cut some lemon slices and lay on top of the salmon, along with more dill sprigs.
Salt and pepper.
Cover and seal with more tin foil, throw on grill.
It's ready when you can smell it, but do not overcook.
Guaranteed to impress the man/woman/inlaws/shitty coworkers in your life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Spaghetti with Red Wine and Cinnamon Meat Sauce
Sounds a little weird, but it's delicious.
Chop up an onion and throw it into a sauce pan with some oil.
Cook onions until they start to turn translucent, then add ground meat of choice and cook until brown.
I usually use beef, but veal would also be quite good.
Add in a large can of diced tomatoes, and a few (3-4) tablespoons of tomato paste.
Add a large splash of sweet red wine, I generally use Port.
Add 2-3 cinnamon sticks whole, or ground cinnamon works too.
Add a small pinch of nutmeg and ground cloves.
Take it easy on the ground clove, it's strong stuff.
Chuck in a piece of cheese rind (the waxy stuff on the outside of cheese), parmesan works very well.
Simmer on low for a few hours.
Remove cinnamon sticks and cheese rind before eating.
Serve on top of pasta of choice, with some fresh grated parmesan or kefalotiri cheese.

I have also done this recipe in a slow cooker, throw all the shit in before work in the morning, set it on low, and let it do it's thing, and you have delicious pasta sauce when you get home.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
This one called for a 2lb pork loin roast, I found two 1lb'ers.

2 large parsnips
1 butternut squash
2 large carrots
4 celery stocks
Grated dash of 1/2 lemon
1 tbs rosemary
1 1/2 tsp of salt (to your own flavor)
1/2 tsp of pepper (to your own flavor)
Four cloves of garlic
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil

You can pre cook the squash to peel it, I just cut it up into small pieces and removed as much of it as I could.
Slice the parsnip up in 2in long pieces.
Same with the carrots, make the celery a bit smaller.
Mince garlic, I hand chop, its a preference.
Pre heat oven to 450.

Mix garlic, rosemary, lemon zest, 3/4tsp salt, 1/4tsp pepper, rub all over pork.
Place pork in baking dish, sprinkle veggies around pork.
Sprinkle the rest of the salt and pepper over the top of everything.

Place dish in oven for 40min, I covered mine loosely with foil.
the recipe called for 45min but I took mine out at 40min and it was at 160 degrees.

Pull from oven and let sit for 15min, separate veggies from pork to serve, slice pork across the grain. Got this from a healthy cook book and changed a couple things, came out amazing.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
Useless without pics!!!!

I've been in a chicken tit rut since it has been on sale for $1.99 a lb.

I've been eating up all my crock pot recipes that I froze the extras.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
Useless without pics!!!!

I've been in a chicken tit rut since it has been on sale for $1.99 a lb.

I've been eating up all my crock pot recipes that I froze the extras.

You need a vacuum sealer if you don't have one already. Though it's strange when you think about it, it's pretty cool to be able to buy shit on sale and eat it 8-12 months later (though it's usually much sooner).

·
Registered
340 Posts
Scallop Linguine

Ingredients

1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and black pepper
3/4 pound linguine
1 cup peas
16 sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds), patted dry
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves

Directions

Heat oven to 350° F.
Toss the bread crumbs, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet.
Bake, tossing once, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
Let cool.

Meanwhile, cook the linguine according to the package directions, adding the peas during the last minute of cooking. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta; reserve the pot.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the scallops with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook until golden brown on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes more.

Wipe out the pasta pot and cook the butter over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the pasta and peas, scallops, tarragon, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ cup of the reserved cooking water and toss to coat (add more cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce).

Serve the dish sprinkled with the toasted bread crumbs.

[Thank you Charlyne Mattox, http://www.realsimple.com]

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
You need a vacuum sealer if you don't have one already. Though it's strange when you think about it, it's pretty cool to be able to buy shit on sale and eat it 8-12 months later (though it's usually much sooner).
Deep freezer and freezer paper, lots cheaper!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
99.99% of the flour in this country is Brominated, which is really horrible for you, and really good sourdough is tough to come by so I started making my own using King Arthur flour, you can get it online, and some stores carry it.

Made really good traditional style sourdough couple days ago. Requires you to have a sourdough culture, which you can buy a starter for, or make with time+water+flour.

After you have the sourdough starter going good, you put a cup of it in a mixing bowl and mix in flour and water (preferably without chlorine) until you have a dough consistancy you like, I like mine super wet so the bread is moist and slightly chewy, then cover it and let it sit on a counter all day (12ish hours depending on how active your sourdough starter is) until it about doubles in size, then work it into ovals and drop it in lightly greased bread pans and let it sit overnight covered at room temp.

In the morning fill a big pan with water and put as low as you can in the oven, and preheat the oven to 350F, then uncover the bread pans and place in oven until they are done. I like mine slightly browned on top but not more than that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
99.99% of the flour in this country is Brominated, which is really horrible for you, and really good sourdough is tough to come by so I started making my own using King Arthur flour, you can get it online, and some stores carry it.
Looks good.

Bromate in bread and many other foods has been banned in the UK for over 20 years. Is it still used in US-spec Mountain Dew and Fanta?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Looks good.

Bromate in bread and many other foods has been banned in the UK for over 20 years. Is it still used in US-spec Mountain Dew and Fanta?
Probably, I think the US is the world leader in Bromate consumption. Brominated flour the way flour is bleached in this country, so any flour you see that is "white" or "Enriched" is brominated. In fact unless it specifically says it ISNT bleached or brominated, you can assume it is. Even "whole wheat" products first ingredient is usually "enriched white flour".

Toxic Bromine is bad enough as it is, but the compound issue is the lack of Iodine in this country. Anyone who remembers much about chemistry knows Iodine and Bromine can easily interchange in chemical reactions, which is what happens when we are low on Iodine and have an abundance of Bromine, our bodies take up and use toxic Bromine in the place of Iodine.

Besides all the other stuff Iodine does for our bodies, it is also the major component your thyroid hormones, which is the major contributor to our metabolism regulation and also has all sorts of other hormone interactions. So imagine what happens when you build those hormones with Bromine instead of Iodine.....

Even though iodine is vitally important, the USDA recommendation is barely enough to avoid cretinism, the US doesn't require it to be put in salt like almost every other industrialized country, and even if you think you have an issue with it and ask a doctor the usual response is something like: "You have plenty of iodine, it comes in all salt and dairy foods" which is a flat out lie based on ignorance.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
I should start by saying that I only made this because the local seafood place had swordfish for $8.95/lb and it's usually around $18. The crab meat makes it more expensive, you can leave that out that if you'd like.

8 oz each Swordfish Steaks, ¾ thick, no skin, no bloodline
Kosher salt, to taste
Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
1 each avocado, peeled ½ diced
1 tablespoon red onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons of cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon red pepper, very finely diced
1 teaspoon Serrano pepper, very finely diced
4 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
6 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of sambal chili sauce
1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
4 oz of fresh crab meat, no shells

Combine avocado, onion, cilantro, peppers, vinegar, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, sambal and lime juice. Season with salt to taste. Mix the crab meat into this mixture just before serving.

Brush swordfish steak with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Grill on each side for 4 minutes, medium heat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ghetto panini
saute minced garlic in butter in teflon pan
turn heat up to med+
Install sandwich consisting of salad shimp, chedder, touch of johnnys
crush ever-living eff out of sandwich w saucer or something until cheese runs out and slightly burns on pan
flip and do like a pushup on that shit until u have a wafer thin crunchy- thing. Honestly very good, though a sandwich press may require less effort

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Perch or any white meat freshwater fish. I fish alot. So I have freezer full of salmon, trout, walleye, perch, pike and all sorts of fish.

first get some fish preferably walleye or perch.

filet those babies and make a dry coating
50% all purpose flour
50% corn flour
pepper
some paprika
chili flakes
put dry coating in a big bag

pat the fish dry and throw them in the bag and shake it up. fry at 350-375 for about 2 min per side or until brown in veg oil or peanut oil. then salt them right away. These things are to die for, when I cook them they cannot be cooked fast enough before they are gone which sucks for me, the cook. I also put fresh garlic slices in the oil then take them out before they burn to flavor the oil a bit

Can make a very easy fish taco too with some avocado salsa and whatnot.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts