Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I had some wheel bearings and studs pressed on my EX spindles about a month ago. I kept noticing a slight noise from the front brakes, like something touching the rotor on part of it as it turns, and it wasn't all the time. I pulled the pads and trimmed the retainer clips some because I had an issue with them dragging the before.

Well, that did nothing, so I pulled the wheels and put it on stands and put it in gear and the right side has a wobble back and forth as it spun o_O. Wheel bearings have no slack, axle nut torqued properly, etc. I thought it was a rotor, so I swapped it for a new one, impacted lugs on and put set screws on. It looked better after re-installing, little to no wobble. Thought it was fixed and took it to autocross the next day. While pushing the car in grid, my co-driver heard it touching again *facepalm*.

Now, I'm going to pull it apart tomorrow and see more about it. Could the hub itself be bent/warped, or is it more likely something went awry on the bearing/hub install?

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do a runout test on the hub face.
I don't have the tools to do that unfortunately. Did a homemade "hold my finger here" to check it after re-installing the new rotor.

Maybe the hub is worn out where it contacts the bearing. Usually only happens when the bearing wears out badly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I've had a hub get damaged and it just had slack in it like a bad bearing. Could be I suppose.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Only need a wire. Bend it into a loop. Built the loop to the caliper mounting point. Bend it to the face of the hub. Rotate the hub. If the gap changes, you have runout. You can approximate the runout with feeler Gauges.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About $20 at HF will make a run out setup, same setup cam be used to check cam lobes.
Closest HF is over an hour from here, or else I'd have a lot more stuff!

Only need a wire. Bend it into a loop. Built the loop to the caliper mounting point. Bend it to the face of the hub. Rotate the hub. If the gap changes, you have runout. You can approximate the runout with feeler Gauges.
:uh: Don't know why I didn't think of this. Did this today and didn't notice any runout on the passenger side. I did have only one set screw on the driver side, so I got some at the hardware store and put two new ones in. I'll drive it later this week and find out, but I couldn't hear anything just spinning it by hand.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always torque mine with a torque wrench to 90ft/lbs. And that's the way I've always felt about it, but I remember rustbucketrex had an issue with his car having a wobble, and didn't have any set screws but torqued lugs properly; he put some in and it went away.

Anywho, I impacted the lugs onto the rotor with the wheel off, put set screws in, hand-impacted them tight and put it together. I'll test it tomorrow. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Max rotor runout is .002". If you have Over that, pull the rotor and check the hub. Should be 0. If the hub is at 0 try changing the rotor position may reduce it.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll recheck them later, but I did have to bend them out of the way after initial install. This isn't a constant noise, it was a clear scrape sound with every rotation of the wheel. It could be a dust shield now, since it is faint and possibly changes with direction and wheel input.

Initially, whatever was causing it on the passenger side was so bad that I could see it with the naked eye and the caliper itself was sliding back and forth. Couldn't feel it in the wheel at all; in fact I had gone on a cruise with the local Miata group the morning before I pulled the wheel off to investigate the noise and never once felt it.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,425 Posts
Due to my transportation issues, it costs $8 in gas to go to local HF and back. So if your order is enough, it is worth it.

Now returns might be an issue.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
The HF "vice grip" style runout set for $20 is so worth it.

You can spec so much stuff with it. Its a no brainer decision to buy one.

Also, this noise you hear. Same sorta thing happened to me once. it was due to how I had installed my cotter pins on the LBJ castle nut.

THey were pointing towards the rotor, and when the car was in the air, it had plenty of clearance. When lowered on the ground, the clearance was VERY minimal on the side that didnt touch, and the other side was barely touching.

Trimmed them down with side cutters, noise gone.

Who knows...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts