Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me just say i am new to mechanics but on the verge of learning. picked up b series engine books and will be on verge of a swap when money is right as for now i have a honda civic 2001 dx. i bought the car from a dealer who told me it was a vtec the d17a2 model. so before i got the car they told me the previous owner messed around so the decided to buy brand new vtec head to put on it. to my surprise doing research on my motor it is the non vtec d17a1 block with the vtec head on it. is this gonna be a problem? are there changes i have to make to make the car right? i have had few problems being a p1457 code which i think is the evap shut off valve and also when starting to drive in 1st gear hesitation or no throttle rsponse and finally some time shifting gears it is like a rev limiter on 4000 rpm and the check engine light has come on for all 3 problems. any help will be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
What state are you in? If there are emissions controls the dealer my be required to fix all that since most states will not allow a dealer to sell a car that cannot pass emissions...and your car will not pass in almost every place that tests. If not then i recommend getting a service manual and start running the diagnostics for each code...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd check to see if they swapped a different intake manifold on. I just did an intake manifold swap this last weekend. Make sure all your vacuum lines are good especially the evap if that's where your issue is.

I'd look for a vacuum leak or adjust the throttle cable for your issue with first gear. That's where I'd look first, I personally don't know what else would cause it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no reson the non vteck block and vtec head could be the problem? and the dealer told me car already passed emission which i am starting not to believe either.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,401 Posts
what ecu is in the car? is it the correct ecu for the vtec head?

·
4,401 Posts
wreckin = redneck version of "you think"

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ahhh ok got ya . ya been reading about the mini me swap my next question is could i go with an ex ecu or do i have to buy the hondata ecu which is pretty expensive

·
4,401 Posts
stock should work fine, unless you key is chipped, in which case you have to code the ecu for the car. or something like that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts