Engine currently running on stock ecu
Broken in on conventional oil
Oil changed @50km, 800km, and 5000km

Symptoms:
Hesitation when cold until approximately 3000rpm
Poor fuel mileage ~26mpg
Fuel smell in car cabin sometimes
Idle is not great, fluctuates and is low

Tried a lucas fuel system cleaner and the car idled better when it was in the car (tank) but once that tank was gone it went back to poor idle. Fuel mileage remained the same.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks

-Kevin

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
I would say your poor mileage is from vitaras and a stock ecu. This would probably account for the fuel smell in car as well.

The hesitation until 3k when cold...is this really a big deal? Doesn't the ecu pull timing until up to operating temp? Why do you need to rev past 3k when cold anyway? I barely rev past 3k when warm under normal driving conditions.

If you have codes that's what I would worry about and address first.

As for the fluctuating idle, don't we have a sticky for that?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well ~3000rpm... I shift about there when the car is cold but as it starts to pull alot harder when it gets there
and
3000rpm is a joke for my car because I have a close ratio tranny (60mph ~3500rpm), you can comfortably drive 30mph in 5th... lol

I am wondering if I may be running way too rich. Like rich enough to wash out the cylinders or would the motor throw a code first?

·
11,892 Posts
Idk dude. The car is obviously not tuned for your new c/r so I would expect it to run like crap.

Do you have codes?

·
Registered
4,583 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I know it is not tuned for it... I'm surprised it runs as well as it does actually.

I think I may do a compression test and see if I can get my car tuned for N/A vitara until the spring. I hate driving around knowing my car isn't tuned properly but the nearest dyno (I would go to) is like 6 hrs away and I tried to get two people to street tune and one was too busy and the other bailed on me.

I would like to do it myself but don't have the the equipment to do it and I don't have the know-how either. But if I was to learn how to do it I would assume an N/A vitara would be pretty forgiving and one of the easier motors to tune.

·
11,892 Posts
So no codes?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
it threw one code like two days ago and I am going to try and get it checked today. But the CEL shut off after about an hour.
If the CEL shut off itself, will it be stored in the memory?

but for the other 5000kms, no codes were thrown.

Here's how it went:
Filled up car
Added lucas fuel system cleaner. (Car idled better, No MPG improvements)
Ran that tank of fuel out
Filled up at gas station
Drove 1/4 km
threw a CEL
Drove 80 more kms, CEL shut off

:shrugs:

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
check what code it threw.

usually a low CR application needs more fuel.. i suspect the fuel smell you are having is from blow by. do you have a catch can?

what rods are you using? standard length rods? what cylinder head? y7?

most likely the hesitation is from the lower CR, just a lack of timing down low. what is your dizzy timing set to? adjustable cam gear?? what cam, stock?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I do not have a catch can... just a crank case filter (Catch can is on backorder from M-factory)
standard length eagle rods
y7 head
Dizzy is set to stock I believe
No adjustable cam gear
y7 cam

so if anything I am running lean and not rich? as I apparently need more fuel than stock?

·
11,892 Posts
check what code it threw.

usually a low CR application needs more fuel.. i suspect the fuel smell you are having is from blow by. do you have a catch can?

what rods are you using? standard length rods? what cylinder head? y7?

most likely the hesitation is from the lower CR, just a lack of timing down low. what is your dizzy timing set to? adjustable cam gear?? what cam, stock?
How does a lower c/r require more fuel?

Does not compute.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
less efficient of a burn with lower cr. more fuel required. but the stock ecu should compensate for this with the stock o2 sensor

do you have a different theory mildness? im always wanting to learn more :)

OP; crank case filter? aka open crank case? that would put a lot of blow-by into the ebay which could easily find its way into the cabin and stink you out :p

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, essentially an open crankcase as it is only a filter on it. K&N Crankcase Vent Filters (third set of filters down, the one on the left)

is it normal for me to be getting blow by with so little km's?

·
11,892 Posts
less efficient of a burn with lower cr. more fuel required. but the stock ecu should compensate for this with the stock o2 sensor

do you have a different theory mildness? im always wanting to learn more :)

OP; crank case filter? aka open crank case? that would put a lot of blow-by into the ebay which could easily find its way into the cabin and stink you out :p
No sir. I was just trying to wrap my head around the idea and I was kinda headed in that direction but wanted to hear your explanation before I posted what I thought and make myself look like a dumbass.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
did not do an easy break-in... I did lots of engine braking and full throttle pulls

1 - 19 of 19 Posts