Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 ex coupe
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this may fall under wheels and tires but im having an issue that may be related to the suspension. I'm guessing I may have went with to big of a tire in the rear.....

which brings me to believe that I may need a camber kit.

Wheel specs:
16in x 8in
+20 offset

tires:
205/45/16

The tires are rubbing when I turn or hit a bumpy section of a road. ON STOCK SUSPENSION. I will be installing skunk 2 springs but if im rubbing now it will be worse when It gets springs on it.

any advice would be appreciated!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,477 Posts
why would you need a camber kit if youre running bigger wheels and tires?

run a smaller tire. run a smaller wheel. raise the suspension.

·
Registered
98 ex coupe
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its completely on stock suspension........I was debating trading someone for a 195 for the rear but I literally just bought them....

why would you need a camber kit if youre running bigger wheels and tires?

run a smaller tire. run a smaller wheel. raise the suspension.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well considering the offset of the stock wheels is somewhere around +45mm, going to a +20mm offset, much wider wheel is likely going to create some issues especially if you are going to lower it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Skunk2 springs are pretty stiff (typically in the 500+lb/in F and 400+lb/in R range) with a reasonable drop so you may be able to get away without rubbing but you will probably be in a worse situation than you are now.

I don't like the idea of using a camber kit to fit oversized wheels; By using the camber kit to tuck the wheels in, you are reducing your contact patch with the road. Why buy 205s if you aren't going to use it?

I would suggest an fender roll if it hasn't been done already, 205s are not huge tires by any means but the +20 is pretty aggressive for a civic.
The outer edge of the rim is sticking out more than 2 inches beyond the factory wheel.
Reference:Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
a camber kit should never be the answer to fit tires if you are still on fully stock suspension.

spend $150 on a master buching kit, install that, and see what that does.

in the rear, the big trailing arm bushing being stiffer will help quite a bit with tire fitment. When a tire/control arm assembly is not allowed to run all over the place, it tends to not rub.

Up front, at least with newer bushings you wont have the tire come to the inner side as much.

Rule number one with wheel/tire fitment. find specs before finding your wallet. It saves you trouble

·
Registered
98 ex coupe
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's what I figured. The stock springs contribute so much body roll lol. I put in some strut bars and that helped ALOT.

I will post a update when all this happens. Hopefully it fits better. I like the wheels and how it sits......just needs low lol. I'm monster trucking with a lip and wheels hahaha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts