Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "necessary". It's not necessary to port in the first place. It depends on what you're trying to do.

After a bit of research I have come up with the following recomendations and rationalizations.

- Do not polish the intake. Leave it rough to promote better atomization of the air/fuel mixture. I'm not sure what this means in terms of HP or other performance metrics.

- Remove casting marks to improve flow by eliminating smooth airflow obstructions. This would apply to both intake and exhaust.

- Polish the exhaust to discourage carbon buildup and to make carbon removal easier (supposedly) on a subsequent head job. Some feel that polishing the exhaust is a waste of tome since carbon will build up on the surfaces shortly.

·
Registered
910 Posts
You do not polish. It should be sandpaper rough and i'm not sure what grit. With the surface rough, the droplets of fuel will pass over the surface instead of stick to the surface if it was polished. So you will get your full atomized fuel mixture into the cylinder.

·
Registered
301 Posts
when i port heads i only port them i dont polish and they work fine, i like leaving them rough on the intake side for the atomization which mixes the air and fuel better

1 - 6 of 6 Posts