Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done searches and still not 100% ... have any of you done any porting of your intake manifold and or head ? Im specifically thinking of the d16y7.im going to gasket match the intake and exhaust on the head.for the combustion chambers im thinking of removing any casting marks /lines and the sharp edge above the valves.of you that havedone this , did you use an electric dremel type ? Or an air powered tool ? I have a dremel , and access to an air poweredat work but with no pedal.also what did you use ? Stones , sanding rolls , carbide bits ??
Im going to leave the exhaust ports mrror polished but undecided on intake ports grit ?
Thanks guys :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
For the amount of time and work that can go into this particular project, it's really more for the super enthusiast than the gains. Unless you're majorly modded with some heavy forced induction and a monster cam, you'll not see any real gains. What WILL make improvements are very simple, and you've stated your intent on them: removing casting defects and port matching. No need to mirror polish your exhaust, the shit will still stick. It may be less likely to do so, but it happens, I've personally seen it. You'd do better putting that mirror finish on your combustion chamber really. The less carbon buildup you develop here, the less likely you are to develop hot spots and/or detonation FROM those hotspots.
Dremel is fine, just be careful about the chuck. Don't go too aggressive with the grit, it'll get away from you. Too fine and you'll take hours on something that would take moments.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Don't waste your time with y7 junk. Go look for and read the y8 manifold swap thread.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the knowledge drop .i appreciate i.my goal is 400whp ,i thougjt at that power l3ve the home porting wold gve areciable gains , more piwer forvthe same amunt of boost.il stick to port matching and casting flaw smoothing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I qasnt specific enough my bad , i plan to use the y7 head butabsolutely toss the irds nest y7 mani away, i had the y8 int mani on my y7 boosted setup (n porting though) .iwill mst likelyrun a skunk 2 ro or edebrock int mani on this build wth light home pn of y7 head

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there any place to get a quality cheap manifold? I already have a stock Y8 manifold that I will reuse for my build. I'd like to run a better intake manifold in the near future.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
there are no aftermarket manifolds that outperform the d16z6 or d16y8 intakes enough to be worth the price, even if you find them under $250

a cleaned up factory z6 or y8 intake manifold will be fine, and perform well enough even with a good camshaft and high compression setup.

Use edelbrock perofrmerX manifold when you are knocking on the door of 160whp and need every little bit to push the numbers higher.

EDIT I overlooked your eventual goal of 400whp.

The d16y8 intake manifold is gonna work jsut fine for you. Boosted cars dont need perfection in the intake or exhaust. Spend the spare money on a turbo blanket and a nice fuel setup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts