Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i took it upon myself to port and polish my head for my build, so i figured id post up the link to some of my pics and get your opinion and what ya think about it. ps still not finished with it http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/dipkracker412/civic/ i used a 27 dollar black and decker dremel with some stone grinding bits if your interested

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great to see another A6 being ported. I'm gearing up to do my A6 as well. I have a clunker PR4-5 casting I'm going to practice on for a while before I abuse the head on my project. The work in your photos appear to be pretty evenly matched. GL with your artistic ability and steady hand!
My tools:

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
it seems everyone is coming out of the wood works doing their own head work goo work guys, keep it coming to teach ppl it isn't that hard. don't be afraid just do it.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
why not sharp matt?
Think of the leading edge of a wing. I was enlightened to this fact by someone of great repute and success with his engine builds (176WHP out of his Z6 build). I think you'll know who I mean remo!

Turbulence is a good chunk of the reason sharp dividers on the intake side (note I am specifying which side I am talking about) are a bad thing. Turbulence in the area of the dividers can effectively "neck down" the size of the port leading to the valve. Sometimes this is actually a good thing, if the ports are too big in the first place, but that is another story. Having a blunt/rounded divider allows the air to wrap around the divider without making any sharp turns. One of the concepts I have really taken to heart from reading Rehr-Morrisons Tech-talk a David Vizard's writings is that air weighs a LOT more than you and I would normally "notice." As such, you have to really look at making the air happy to move it's mass in and around the ports. Air, especially when it has a lot of velocity, has a great amount of inertia, and sharp transitions do not allow air to maintain it's velocity, as it takes some of the energy to move through sharp transitions. Take a look at the very low co-efficient of drag cars running around today. They do not have sharp fronts. they are actually very blunted. These shapes lower the amount of energy it takes to move through the air. (No, you aren't going to see a supercar shaped like a Prius, as ther are other considerations such as total frontal area, etc.) Basically, you are wanting to use everything in the port to your advantage to shape a venturi around the whole valve. What this does, if done correctly, is that you actually increase the pressure in the bowl by slightly the volume in the bowl compared to the the rest of the port. Any time a fluid or gas increases in volume, the velocity drops, and the pressure has to increase. This increase in pressure can be maintained (or "fed," if you will) if the rest of the port is shaped well. Increasing the pressure behind the intake valve will help cram more air into the cylinder. And, just like anything else, the sizes of the venturi effect the RPM this works in. Bah, I am starting to ramble, so i am going to shut up now.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
thanks matt i knew who you're talking about. i sharpen mine up abit but then rounds it off. remember we're across several forums and i've readed enough to know why but there was some ppl here needed that piece of jewel to help them a bit. remember every bit helps.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Exactly. I am just not at liberty to divulge everything I know or in some cases where my info is coming from. =)
Port divider should look about like the nose of a 69/70 Mopar Superbird/Daytona :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ohh alrighht ill round off that devider a little bit and take your advice~! thanks for letting me know, and thanks for the positive remarks guys:)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Damn! that orange thing looks the sex Bone!
Is that KITT in Knight Rider?
Or should he be a little darker or something??

i just LOVE those fly-overs at them back!!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :yes:
200 mph rice.........think you can keep up?

I've been to 160-165 in third gear in one, it had a Doug Nash 5 speed.

It would push 210+ if it had the room.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts