Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im sure most of you have seen my other thread where i took the head off the block, the reason for this is because im getting the zex 59500 cam, springs, and im doing my own porting and polishing... of course im not done yet because it takes a little while, and is very time consuming with using little hand tools.

started on the exhaust side, and got 2 ports almost done.. im shooting in between mild and wild haha...

now heres the pics.. (blurry gotta take some better ones) im up for any kind of comments, suggestions, tips, it looks like shit, or whatever you all wanna say.

the two on the left, are obviously the ones i started

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
not bad lookin so far, next id work on enlarging the areas on the sides of the ports and tapering it to the exit which you barely wanna touch, this will help exhaust velocity and for you thats really good for spool. Also try to take the sides down to increase the short turn radius. THe only thing i see you really need more work on are the valve guide bosses. THey need to be flared into the head more, at least thats what id do.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so the smaller area under the valves you barely wanna touch?? i thought when you port, you wanna port match to the gasket? right now, its almost the size of the gasket.. the intake side im gonna port it but no where near as much as im gonna do exhaust.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
yes barely touch the area on the bottom where the area exits. BUT on the sides of that you wanna enlarge that area to increase the size of the radius. As for gasket matching, you want the intake side of the head and the turbo manifold to be matched. Not the intake manifold and exhaust side. you wanna leave them alone

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes barely touch the area on the bottom where the area exits. BUT on the sides of that you wanna enlarge that area to increase the size of the radius. As for gasket matching, you want the intake side of the head and the turbo manifold to be matched. Not the intake manifold and exhaust side. you wanna leave them alone

sry i dont understand what you mean here

are you saying that the intake ports i should match it to the turbo manifold??? why not match it to the intake manifold?

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
no no lol only the intake ports and the ports in the turbo manifold should be gasket matched. Dont bother matching the IM or the exhaust side. That will help fight reversion and make more power

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no no lol only the intake ports and the ports in the turbo manifold should be gasket matched. Dont bother matching the IM or the exhaust side. That will help fight reversion and make more power

alright i gotcha, leave the intake manifold as is, because the air comes out and into the head at a faster rate, and then on the exhaust side, the air moves out of the head with a smaller exit before the manifold at a faster rate, so it well help with turbo spool.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
correct, now your gettin it.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First port on the left looks a little lumpy to me. The one on the right looks good.

thats because i wasnt no where near finished lol.. that was just using a grinding stone, i then went back with 120 grit drums, and then polishing clay and a cloth

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
looks good so far bro

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks, the exhaust side is pretty much done, should help loads with turbo spool and with the 500cam i should have almost instant spool now.. exhaust side is very smooth, and i polished it also

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
looks good. one thing if you can turn the flash off when you take up close pics, will help loads

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
seriously looks really nice
def doing good work i think

·
Registered
a hatch
1,423 Posts
Ive never fully understood the concept of diy porting, how do you know its to much? How you know its smooth? Etc. Props and rep for doing it yourself.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Lots of reading, man! Lots of looking at other's work, Learning to understand how air actually flows without imposing your ideas of how you THINk it should flow, and the last part (which I need to do) is getting your hands and head dirty and just doing it.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
damn right^ it may not be as effecient and flow as well as sending it out and paying someones else to do it, but it will def be a benefit considering what the stock ports look like...

1 - 20 of 111 Posts