Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i got a free head from my friend and said head is good nothing wrong with it just needs new valve guides and etc. but he said its an d16a6 head but head casting is number pm9-1 but sounds like a dx head but i dont know. also he he said it has been re-surfaced but dont know how much he took off of it cant tell can you guys? all reply thankx:yes:

not sure if almost done can you guys tell?

exhaust side looks like he only did the outside port

and heres the head bottom surface dont know how much has been taken off

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
on the one corner there is a two steps the first step is 1mm the second is 2mm if you take a closer pic that includes the whole bottom of the head i can show you exactly what im talking about

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dx head is the same as an Si head, only diff is the cam.

is it good enough? who knows, you dont state what your goal is :p
ok the goal is a high compression d15b7 motor N/A build but i want to keep it 1.5L. so what im asking how much more do i need to do to get this head on my block?:yes:

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
you need a torque wrench and the appropriate sockets.

did u find the nubs yet to tell how much has been milled? it doesnt look like too much from the pics but its hard to tell.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
figure out how much it was milled and maybe mill it more how much compression you looking for. your kinda screwed on pistons for a 1.5 so all your compression is gonna be acheived from milling the head and using a z6 head gasket.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you need a torque wrench and the appropriate sockets.

did u find the nubs yet to tell how much has been milled? it doesnt look like too much from the pics but its hard to tell.
well i know the torque wrench but what about the porting is it good enough to slap the head on im saying also i have new valve guides i want to put it can i press them in my self?

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
get a brass punch with the correct OD and use that to drive out the guides. measure the installed height first. warm up the head in the oven to make it a bit easier. maybe 250ish deg F or so.

drive them back in, perhaps freeze the guides first to shrink them slightly.

ive never done it before, but i dont imagine it being too hard.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
head2.jpg this is the steps that you need to look at to determine how much it has been milled the first step is 1mm and the second is 2mm so take a depth mic and measure how much of the first step is missing and thats how much its been milled

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
figure out how much it was milled and maybe mill it more how much compression you looking for. your kinda screwed on pistons for a 1.5 so all your compression is gonna be acheived from milling the head and using a z6 head gasket.
ok thanks maybe ill give it a try

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
get a brass punch with the correct OD and use that to drive out the guides. measure the installed height first. warm up the head in the oven to make it a bit easier. maybe 250ish deg F or so.

drive them back in, perhaps freeze the guides first to shrink them slightly.

ive never done it before, but i dont imagine it being too hard.
minute amounts of material get removed with the guides when they get taken out. There is a specific tool also for removing the guides with an air tool. My shop heats them up on a hot plate to around 300* and he still had problems getting te KMS guides into the z6 head. Its not easy and you can ROYALY fuck a head up. Best bet is to pay the shop a 100 bucks and let them do it

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
looks good so far are you gonna do any porting to the head yourself or just put new guides in it and run it?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
minute amounts of material get removed with the guides when they get taken out. There is a specific tool also for removing the guides with an air tool. My shop heats them up on a hot plate to around 300* and he still had problems getting te KMS guides into the z6 head. Its not easy and you can ROYALY fuck a head up. Best bet is to pay the shop a 100 bucks and let them do it
x10!

If you heat up your head too much you can warp it or cause the seats to fall out. :uh:

My shop guy freezes the guide while it's still in the head with some kind of spray and then drives it out easily. While they have it they can also acurately check the wear and replace any at a reasonable cost.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts