Honda D Series Forum banner

Port & Polish 60mm tb.

2K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  WORPsol 
#1 ·
Will I receive a gain or anythign from porting and polishing my 60mm b20 tb. I have ported my intake to match the tb, but would it help anything to port and/or polish my tb since the butterfly inside is only 60mm anyways.

I put this in the forced injection section because it is goin on a turbo z6.

#4 ·
Ok.

I know on some of the dsm and jeep they will take a tb and port it out to match a bigged butterfly.

I have also seen some that where smaller at the opening than they where at the butterfly and have seen some smaller behind the butter fly.

What do you mean port matching = bad?

I'm not port matching the intake to the head.

#5 ·
Why would port matching be good?
Think about why a TB that's smaller than the opening in the IM would be good.
(Think one-way street).

The butterfly is probably 60mm. If you hog the TB out, you won't have the TB work correctly.
Won't pull vacuum, won't respond properly, etc.

#6 ·
I still dont see why port matching a tb to a intake mani isnt a good thing.

Everything I have read says if you upgrade the tb you need to port match the intake.

If your not goin to open up the intake opening then whats the point of getting a bigger tb.

The bigger the tb the more air it allows in. If the opening in the intake is the stock size you not goin to allow more air in and what does come in is goin to be more turbulent do to the fact its hitting the sharp edges of the intake mani opening.

#10 ·
While on the subject of port matching TB to IM can a z6 IM be bored to 62mm? Or should I save up for a Skunk 2 IM (since I am going to get one for some engine bay bling) and use my LS TB with that and use the stock z6 TB with the z6 IM till then?

#12 ·
I was able to port mine out to 60mm no prob. I am sure you could go further if you wanted to. I have still got approx 1/4" thick material where the flange transitions into the plenum.

Are your sure your LS is 62mm? I thought they where the same as the b20 at 60mm. Mine is a b20 tb.

This is what it looks like opened up to 60mm.

#17 · (Edited)
Any one have the thoughts on a Intake mani thats painted black? Will it cause probs with it being black. Probs like heat soak or anything.

I cleaned it but its all tarnished up and grayish looking. Not like clean aluminum. So I was thinkin flat black. Here is a pic of it as it sits right now. Or should I just leave it how it is?

You can see the color diff between the tb and the intake.

#18 ·
in for thoughts about boring the throttle body; wondering the same thing.

and for the intake mani, that looks pretty clean to me, i wouldnt paint it... it would be a pain in the ass to take off if it ever started flaking or whatever. plus i like the silver look anyways, if anything id hit it with a silver paint.

#22 ·
I just cant make up mind. Would I notice any cooler air with black IC pipes and intake vs silver?
no theres no way youd notice any difference... think about it, theres air passing through those pipes and the plenum... eventually through convection, the material starts to heat up as well; how would the color of paint on the outside of the material affect the air passing through on the inside? paint of any color will in no way help the aluminum radiate the heat back into the air any better, if anything your putting more of a blanket on it.

#25 · (Edited)
Theoretically, it might make a small differance in temp.
But realisticly, you won't notice a thing.
I've heard that people used to paint their hoods black for the same effect.

Adding some good shrouding to the IC/Radiator will make more of a differentness on temperatures.
Could always add a hood cowl to let the heat out.

#30 ·
Hood tilt will have a negative effect. It's not going to allow air from the engine bay to flow out like you'd think it would. At least not at any kind of speed. A vent in the middle of the hood would allow the venturi effect to pull some heat from the bay, but it would have to be a proper design and not just some thing that looks cool.

#31 ·
How about not loosing all your torque and keep the stock TB size?
This. What kind of power are you looking to make? And at what rpm range? Plenty of people have shown that good numbers can be made with stock TB, IM, and valvetrain.

#32 · (Edited)
I am lookin to make 350whp with my setup. RPM range not sure yet. I dont want it all at bottom end cause would suck to drive. I am going to be DD this when it is done.

Here is the setup:

JE/SRP 9.0:1 Pistons w/ JE rings 75mm
Eagle H beam rods
Stock Crank
ACL Race bearings
Air Research t3 60 trim
Edelbrock cast turbo mani
Custom 2.5" turbo back
Cometic 5 layer HG
DSM 510cc inj
Honda resistor box
Wally 190 lph (had brand new one layin around)
FMIC
Greddy BOV
Chipped p28 tuned with Crome
Innovate LC-1 Wideband
HKS EVC-S
Xenocron 3 Bar map
2.5" IC pipe
ARP Head studs
60mm b20 tb
B&M AFPR

I cant remember where or by who and how many people, but one of the sites I am on there where a few people recommending upgrading to the 60mm tb. I was thinking about doin the y8 mani but I am still not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.