Honda D Series Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Probably not ,lol. Im sure finishing it of w/ 220 would be fine. I have heard though that it takes longer for the carbon to build up the smoother the finish on the exhaust ports. Maybe BS but it wont hurt thats for sure. Go ahead call me obsessive compulsive.lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have done a lot of work on honda motorcycle and fourwheeler heads and I think you should get the exhaust side to look like a mirror for sure it really does seem to stay carbon free longer and they clean back up pretty easy that way to, intake side I like to get nice and smooth and then put somewhat of a pattern back into it like it was machined kind of hard to explain what it feels like (not to smooth but not rough either)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks I came across the site when I was doing some searching for my little shop project. I got a 95 del sol s model kind of cheap so I was deciding to keep the old d block and do the mini me thing or pull it and drop in the b. but any way I get back on topic now

C

·
0 Posts
I really appreciat all the info on the head poloshin it really helps alot. Is there anything that I need to watch out for while I am doing this. I have an HX and I am putting a Y8 head on it so I am going to polish it before I put it on. If you know of anyone with a head intake or ECU that I need please let me knwo. Thanks Alot

James

·
Registered
162 Posts
i think i finished my exhaust ports tonight. i may go over them with a finer gritt but it feels rather smooth to the touch. As ive read that exhaust junk covers up anywyas. Im starting on the intake soon 8) .

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
civicnar said:
I really appreciat all the info on the head poloshin it really helps alot. Is there anything that I need to watch out for while I am doing this. I have an HX and I am putting a Y8 head on it so I am going to polish it before I put it on. If you know of anyone with a head intake or ECU that I need please let me knwo. Thanks Alot

James

Just be careful with how large you make the exhaust ports. when the gasket goes on you dont want any interference to disturb air flow. Also be careful not to make the exhaust ports larger than the header ports. Obviously for the same reason.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm looking into getting a P&P job done. I'd like to do it myself, but don't have the space (one bedroom apt).

I've got a few questions:

How important is it to find a machine shop that specializes in Honda heads? Will any machine shop know what their doing with a D16Y8 head if they're more familiar with a 350 small block? (e.g. are they all similar in technique?)

When researching machine shops, are there any things I should look for? (e.g. do they bench the head? experience?)

Any info would be appreciated. Although I've owned four modified Hondas, I've never delved into headwork.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a fully ported and polished head, manifold and port matched billet tb for my car. I got it from Dh-racing.com they do good work and i am very happy with results. I never ported myself.. I use this car as my daily so down time is a big issue.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Anybody got some more links with pics on this? I've got a delta cam and skunk2 intake manifold and think i can gain some decent power with a DIY port job. I got a few spare heads sittin around, one that only has valve guides left in it, so its just beggin to be messed with ;-) .
Anymore info on the effectiveness of the mirror finish on the exhaust side, and also maybe some pics that identify what areas of the ports are called what? I been havin the damndest time tryin to figure out what the bowl is exactly and whats the floor and whatnot, and the infamous casting marks that everyone refers to. I = noob, but hey i'm tryin lol.

F

·
0 Posts
there are some pictures of head work on my site its www.industrialperformance.tk
polishing the exhaust to a mirror finish is'nt neccessary but its not a bad thing. it does still get covered up with carbon but it does take longer and it does make it much easier to clean. the intake side should be fairly scratchy to increase atomization.i really wouldnt advise porting your heads as a diy project but if you are determined to try not to get crazy with the dremels because it is easier to lose power than increase it by porting,that is why it is considered a black art. and to answer a 2 year old questions small block chevy ports and honda ports are two different worlds, if you do plan on sending your head out for port work its advised to send it to someone with experience in that field.there are plenty of us who can do it correctly..
its not easy to break down all the parts that make a up a port with words but ill try
bare with me this is not the most exact explanation but hear it goes..
1. port entry is where the port begins (where the manifold meets with the head)
2.floor is the bottom of the port
3. roof is the top of the port where the valve guide pertrudes from
4.short turn is where the port floor turns down almost like a 90 degree.
5.bowl area is right after short turn and before the valve seat.
6.valve seat is the steel part that the valve closes against
tried to keep it as simple as apossible if you dont understand you can call me and i will try to explain it better.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Very informative post! Thanks for clearin some things up! I, like a lot of the people planning on a DIY port job, dont intend to get too crazy with it. Theres only so much that can be done without the use of a flowbench or the proper tools for the porting. I'm just lookin to mess around with a spare head, clean up a few things, and see if it makes a difference in an attempt to further understand how to gain more power.

T

·
0 Posts
should I wait untill I get my hondata IM shield before I port my intake side or is going to be the same size as the IM gasket that edelbrock gave me with the IM?

·
0 Posts
TuningOptions said:
should I wait untill I get my hondata IM shield before I port my intake side or is going to be the same size as the IM gasket that edelbrock gave me with the IM?
I'd doubt it will be the same size , best to port match the
intake to the gasket your going to use. Its easier to make
it bigger later then smaller.

·
0 Posts
delslo said:
I have done a lot of work on honda motorcycle and fourwheeler heads and I think you should get the exhaust side to look like a mirror for sure it really does seem to stay carbon free longer and they clean back up pretty easy that way to, intake side I like to get nice and smooth and then put somewhat of a pattern back into it like it was machined kind of hard to explain what it feels like (not to smooth but not rough either)
This is great :)

I glass bead (aka not quite smooth but very uniform mild texture) on the intake side & mirror polish the exhaust side (3 types of polish)
if your going inside the head more then an inch Do not "blade" the intake
ports seperator, leave it as fat as you can (you can lay it back a lot).
I do blade the exhaust ports.
Oh and most alloy cutting bits do not like to be run at full rpm , it melts the alloy to the bit and kills it. You will get a better cut @ 39-46k rpm and not waste our bits. teach yourself NOT to chatter the bit.

Hope this helps

41 - 60 of 79 Posts