Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hondadog said:
oldschoolteg hows it coming along? Any progress? I just got through finishing up on my exhaust ports. So Im finally done with the a6 head, at least as far as the intake and exhaust ports. Now all I need to do is upgrade the cam and valvetrain.
what cam are you gonna run.... why dont ya go for the delta 272? maybe 260 if you are going a bit more conservative.

·
Registered
162 Posts
ive only done about 4 exhaust ports.... im going to research intake flow ports a lot more before i start on them, seem like they are easier to mess up. I can look at it visually and it looks like the exhaust will have no problems excaping the head :p . Porting is time consuming and i have a while to some of my parts come in. Now im debating on a exospeed sr909 or the exospeed race cam :shock:

·
Registered
162 Posts
i looked on iskys site and il think il get their srings and relocators. Geting the retainers looks to be a waste unless you are building a all out racing motor

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I got the other y7 head today. Clean as a whistle too. Sold some of my inventory to pay for an exospeed cam for it. Just need to remove the cam an package it up and send it on its merry way. Need to make another trip to get some more sanding tubes an wheels. Tomorrow after I pull the cam, Ill get to work on the intake ports.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it hard to disassemble then reassemble the head? Is it just checking clearences to make sure it is all going to work? Any special tools needed besides a spring compressor?

M

·
0 Posts
I just finished port matching my Y8 intake manifold to my GSR throttle body. Not too hard at all. I'm now considering whether I should port the intake (and maybe exhaust ports) on my head. What I'm concerned about is, if I port the intake ports won't I need to port the runners on the intake manifold? And even if I do that, I won't be able to port the whole runner. Would the air simply move faster in the smaller part of the runner? But if that's true, then why port at all?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
On the heads intake runners, I ported the ports to within about 2mm of the edge of the gasket. The Intake Manifold runners i left smaller. this helps airflow into the combustion chambers. You dont want the air running into any lips made by the edges of the port on its way into the chambers. On the Exhaust side I ported the header ports larger than the head ex. ports for the same reason. Airflow has no lips or hard edges to run into.

M

·
0 Posts
Oh, so you're not so concerned about making the cross-sectional area larger, but about removing the walls to make the air flow pathways smooth. Makes sense.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I think you know what I am talking about. The insides can be smooth as glass on the exhaust ports. Just use fine sanding tubes. Maybe start of with 80 grit, but be careful because you can fall into a false sense of security. I smoothed them out and took out minimal material. Mostly just the aluminum flash that is left there from the factory. I finished it off with 120 tubes, and then used hand/finger sanding with 220,600, 800, and 1000 grit.
On the intake side I opened them up and removed more material than on the exhaust side. Using 80 grit dremel tubes. Took the port walls to the gasket line (@-1.5mm). This leaves a larger port opening and no obstructions. The intake manifold ports being smaller and airflow will not have anything to run into like factory port walls that are a little mismatched in size sometimes compared to the intake manifold ports.

M

·
0 Posts
Won't porting the runners and the intake ports mess with the atomization of the air/fuel? Or do you just use really rough grit to avoid this?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thats why the coarser grit and finish on the intake side. You dont want to go hogwild on it without a flowbench. You can do enough like opening up the port entrance and removing flash and seams. Follow the original contours and shape of the ports and runners, and remember coarse on the intake side and mirror finish the exhaust.

·
Registered
162 Posts
shew ive started back on mine (got lazy for a lil while :p ) its very time consuming and i hope its worth it and i dont mess anything up. I havent even pulled out the intake valves yet. The exhaust is looking good at this point and i have a ways to go. :shock:

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
Hondadog said:
Thats why the coarser grit and finish on the intake side. You dont want to go hogwild on it without a flowbench. You can do enough like opening up the port entrance and removing flash and seams. Follow the original contours and shape of the ports and runners, and remember coarse on the intake side and mirror finish the exhaust.
Is there any reason to go through the effort of mirror finishing the exhaust when it is going to get covered by exhaust residue anyways?

21 - 40 of 79 Posts