Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure this one out, but it's eluding me. my GFs CRV's front wheel makes a popping noise when cutting the wheel or going over bumps, and you can reproduce it slightly by pushing down on the corner of the car.

now, my first instinct is balljoints, balljoints, balljoints, but I've checked the upper and lower and tie rod end and there's no play in the upper/lower and the tie rod is nice and smooth - what else could this be?

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
sway bar links

·
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sway bar links
any way to check those without tearing the whole thing apart?

(side note, worth replacing until they've totally failed? I don't fuck around with balljoints, but other stuff?

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Turn wheel, stick in pry bar and see if you have "any" movement.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Is it a serviceable or OE style balljoint? Might have never been greased.

·
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it a serviceable or OE style balljoint? Might have never been greased.
upper is definitely a replacement, blue boot was a dead giveaway. the lower looks OE style.

I didn't see a zerk on the blue one though

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
upper is definitely a replacement, blue boot was a dead giveaway. the lower looks OE style.

I didn't see a zerk on the blue one though
Double check for the hole, have seen before where the fitting wasn't installed.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,425 Posts
Does Honda use metal or poly ball joints? Something I just learned about. The poly are self lubing so very little is any grease to leak. The creaking sound you hear is when the poly has worn through and you know have metal to metal contact.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just cut a ball joint open to check. There's plenty of grease in there. I cant cut it in half to make a fancy picture like transzex posted right now tho. If I remember I will on Saturday when I sand blast my suspension

·
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally replaced it, looks like despite the intact boot, and presence of some grease, the grease had somehow been contaminated and was really thin and black with suspended metal particles. the chrome plating on the ball had been worn through, I suspect the stiction of the rougher worn ball was causing the popping issues

·
Registered
Honda Civic and CRV
265 Posts
Did you solve the problem? I have a similar issue with my wife's CR-V. I've replaced all ball joints. I think it's in the steering rack. This thing has 392,000km on it and has done it since about 40,000km. Hasn't fallen off yet. :)

·
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it came back shortly after, new suspect is sway bay links or possibly compliance bushing.

neither of which I'm replacing because those wont cause the wheel to fall off :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts