Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a grocery store when I noticed they had amaranth grain pretty cheap, I bought half a pound for like 80 cents.

For about a month I didnt know what to do with it, so it sat there. I finally manned up and searched google on how to cook it, and I found that it'l pop like corn. Popped corn, or more commonly rice, is a great cereal so I went and did it.

Grab your favorite frying pan (skillet), heat it on either high (gas) or between 3/4 and 1/2 (electric)
drop the amaranth grains in about a spoon full at a time. Slide the pan around on the cook top, and watch as the seeds pop. (After watching the first time, you're gonna wanna put a lid on the pan because they do fly out of the pan) .
Once most of em have popped, pour them into a bowl and repeat.

Heat up some honey in a double boiler pot, fold in amaranth (and oats in my case) until they're all coated with a thin layer of honey.

Add milk (or soy/almond milk if you're lactose intolerant) and enjoy.

P.s. If you're a vegan you can make caramel and substitute that instead of honey.

Other ways to cook amaranth:
Boil it, but that's very boring.
Bring it to your local miller, and have him convert it to flour. Or build your own windmill. Its a nice flour, I've had cookies made with it before

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.