Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up snagging a IHI turbo from a STi. After looking at it I was extremely surpised to see the numbers they can make on AWD cars. SO I took the covers off and I was surprised a bit more.

The turbine is very much like the GT2860RS. In all honestly it has a bit better design when considering all out hp.

Here are the specs for it:

Compressor:

Inducer: 46.3mm
Exdcuer: 59.9mm

Turbine:

Inducer: 53mm
Exducer: 48mm

Compared to a GT2860RS:

Compressor:

Inducer: 47.2mm
Exducer: 60.3mm

Turbine:

Inducer: 53.9mm
Exducer: 47mm

Most are unaware that the turbines exducer is one of the most limiting factors on a turbo. Its basically the bottleneck that the exhaust must ge around so the smaller it is the more limiting it will be on flow at the top end. It may not look like much but the 1mm difference will allow about 4 lb min flow which equates to about 40hp. The compressor is a lil smaller but still more then ample.

I know these are a bit rarer then other turbos but it looks like an excellent option for someone that is looking for both spool and hp. I have almost talked myself into trying it. It would need custom flanges but they are availible. No harder then going with a 16G or the like.

I don't know anyone that has tried one? Opinions?

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
they're not that great... there are reasons why subaru owners switch to garrett or mitsu designs - first, IHI's aren't rebuildable, and second, they don't flow as well as their measurements indicate they should.

you'll be lucky to make T3 50 trim numbers with that turbo (vf39 or 43 I'm guessing)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
^true; IHI turbos are monsters for reliability if treated right (good oil change schedule and not beat on). Least thats the consensus from the late 80s mazda turbo groups.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
I ran a TD04L-13? off a WRX for a few years, great spool, made lots of torque down low, beat the hell out of it as a daily driver, and beat it even worst at the track. I was going to upgrade my set up to a VF-XX but the prices were just not to my liking, and with local emissions test I got tired of swapping the motor in and out all the time. The down side to the Subaru turbos is the flanges, I have a few CNC lasers at work that I was able to burn out my flanges for my setup, otherwise start looking for them online.

I have a EVO 8 turbo sitting on my desk at work I am making some flanges for to start playing with that.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
^true; IHI turbos are monsters for reliability if treated right (good oil change schedule and not beat on). Least thats the consensus from the late 80s mazda turbo groups.
I can tell you that is not the consensus on NASIOC and other Subaru boards(earlier VF turbos; I haven't heard much about the later ones). The Mitsubishi CHRAs are considered more reliable(last longer without a rebuild) than the IHI turbos. The seals going bad in the IHI are pretty common over there.

Also, all of the later(EVO 4 IIRC and up) Mitsubishi turbos are twin-scroll. Only the VF36/37/42 are twin scrolls(VF36 being BB), and they're only in a certain JDM model(harder to find). I don't know if they measure them differently but the Mitsubishi turbos also have a larger nozzle area. Your typical TDO5H-16G Evo turbo is considered an upgrade for most Subarus.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A friend of mine ran subaru flanged 20g on b18c. I know its not same as d16 with vf39, but he made 360whp on 20psi e85. The only problem he had was boost creep.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I can tell you that is not the consensus on NASIOC
Well those are boxer engines after all, so the problem stems deeper then just turbo failure.. :lol:

But seriously, the little turbo 323 GT I had a year or so back had over 200k miles on the OE IHI turbo. There are many many other cars with IHI turbos with the same mileage or much more. Yet people fly through other turbos left and right. Some barely making it 30k miles.

IMO: mitsu heavy and IHI are the best your going to get if you just want to have a "normal" turbo car. If you plan on abusing it, then all bets are off on ANY turbo lasting. Simply saying they are bad is a very narrow view of the reality of things.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
No one is saying they're simply bad; there's simply a higher risk with the Subaru IHIs; I don't know about other OE IHI turbos, but he specifically brought up the STi. Besides the later ones, it's not uncommon to see those turbos start leaking. The other problem some mid/late-2000 turbo Subarus had, not caused by the turbo itself, was basically oil starvation to the head(AVCS-equipped) and turbo due to filters in the banjo bolts getting clogged. If you're willing to rebuild them, there's a lot of those turbos on the used market. In general, the Mitsubishi turbos have a better rep than the Subaru IHI turbos, and seem like they're more readily available. I have no clue regarding the reliable of a rebuilt Subaru IHI though(I'm running one too; but only clocked about 2k mi on it so far).

With that said, I'd go with Garrett/Honeywell if you're worried about longevity. They're popular in the diesel market which sees WAY more hours/stress than a car, and in general you don't hear much issues about them. Of course, you'll be paying more.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they're not that great... there are reasons why subaru owners switch to garrett or mitsu designs - first, IHI's aren't rebuildable, and second, they don't flow as well as their measurements indicate they should.

you'll be lucky to make T3 50 trim numbers with that turbo (vf39 or 43 I'm guessing)
Buddy put the crack down! You are seriously going to try and compare a 70's T3 turd to a modern design turbo??? First off the IHI has been PROVEN to make 300whp+ on a AWD Subaru. Second I have rebuilt them MYSELF and know first hand they can be rebuilt. Even the ball bearing IHI can be rebuilt.

The reason why Subaru owners swith to Garrett or whatever is because IHI does not build Subaru style larger turbos. Also the Garrett and whatever are more commonly availible as are the flange designs.

This forum is always good for atleast one good laugh a day. I am curious though where you pulled this information from?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ran a TD04L-13? off a WRX for a few years, great spool, made lots of torque down low, beat the hell out of it as a daily driver, and beat it even worst at the track. I was going to upgrade my set up to a VF-XX but the prices were just not to my liking, and with local emissions test I got tired of swapping the motor in and out all the time. The down side to the Subaru turbos is the flanges, I have a few CNC lasers at work that I was able to burn out my flanges for my setup, otherwise start looking for them online.

I have a EVO 8 turbo sitting on my desk at work I am making some flanges for to start playing with that.
The TD04L is nice line of turbos. The turbines are considerably smaller then the IHI I am referring too which will limit its overall hp. The lil 13T (I think) was good lil turbo though and as you mentioned spooled with as little as a sneeze. I have a TD04H 15T that I modified and made 19T out of. It should offer insane spool with a fatter top end.

The 19T compressor is:

46mm inducer
58mm exducer

The actual dimensions does have alot to do with the compressors flow capabilites but the design like fin heigth, angle, weight have more to do with its characteristics.

I am trying to build a nice quick spooling turbo setup that will also produce respectable horspower and I have come up with 3 turbos. The TD04H 19T, IHI STi turbo, and the MazdaSpeed 3 K04-22-881. The compressors are almost identical in size.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts