Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i got this idea when i was looking on forum about converting OEM engine mounts to stiff ones by filling them with polyurethane. The rear trailing arm also have space there, so i thought about filling it with polyurethane. What´s your opinion?

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX Sedan
29 Posts
I think it depends on what you primarily use the car for. I'm just speaking from experience here. I put polyurethane trailing arm bushings in my EF back in the day and it stiffened up the ride pretty significantly. Maybe because the EF hatches don't weigh anything in the rear but I noticed a pretty significant difference in ride quality. I ended up putting factory ones back in. If you don't care about that or it's a dedicated track/autocross car then I say go for it. But if it's primarily a street car/daily and the rear trailing arm bushings need to be replaced then I don't see any reason not to go with OEM.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
you will have to "unload" the bushings via unbolting them from the car and allowing the trailing arm to hang a bit in order to fill them proeprly.

You will be fighting gravity as it dries, so do small amounts at a time.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,603 Posts
DO NOT FILL them! They are a pivot point and if you fill them you might as well have a death trap.

If they don't flex, the suspension goes solid and binds, you'll end up with insane out of control handling.

Spherical bearings if allowed.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,776 Posts
DO NOT FILL them! They are a pivot point and if you fill them you might as well have a death trap.

If they don't flex, the suspension goes solid and binds, you'll end up with insane out of control handling.

so youre saying a delrin bushing isn't a good idea?

currently has 2 lcas on shelf with delrin bushings

Reactions: drtalon123

·
Registered
6,476 Posts

I think off the shelf stuff is fine, it bends/flexes easily. I use the 3m window weld, and it still is pliable as needed.

Compeltely agree with solid filling the bushings though, if too hard, car gets all sorts of jittery

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,603 Posts
I think off the shelf stuff is fine, it bends/flexes easily. I use the 3m window weld, and it still is pliable as needed.

Compeltely agree with solid filling the bushings though, if too hard, car gets all sorts of jittery
As a trans builder I have access to the suspension issues on EF/EG/DA and what is allowed by rules, what works and what doesn't. I've lost count of the National wins and championships in SCCA and NASA. I've also witnessed what happens to a Nissan Roadster when the new rear sway bar setup get bound up. That roll bar came in handy on a tight autocross course.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,776 Posts

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
pressed into the stock location on the blox lcas
Id say make the inner most bushing stock rubber or hardrace rubber repalcement, else leave the delrin's in place.

The trailing arm bushing is the one that is most important that it is able to move around a bit.

I get what Bone was saying. That bigass trailing bushing has to be able to move. Think like a joystick on a controller, but instead of a perfect center, it is slightly off, and when you look down at it while moving, it is making a circle, rather than a perfect pivot point.

That is why the spherical bushing repalcements are on bars that allow it to slide a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[QUOTE = "Touge, publicación: 5166033, miembro: 130608"]
Hola a todos, se me ocurrió esta idea cuando estaba buscando en un foro sobre la conversión de soportes de motor OEM en rígidos llenándolos con poliuretano. El brazo de suspensión trasero también tiene espacio allí, así que pensé en llenarlo con poliuretano. ¿Cual es tu opinion?
[/CITA]

Buy energy suspension

1 - 12 of 12 Posts