Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched this forum but none answered my general question.
how bad is polyurethane bushings for a DD?

i ordered the full kit from energy suspension. i just want to know what the ride is like. my car is lowered on coilovers and the camber kit is coming and she's pretty rough right now but corners really good.

i wonder when i install the bushings, if i raise my car a bit and soften the dampening and increase spring rating, with the bushings will i have a little more comfier ride with still the good cornering?

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Optimal handling and optimal comfort RARELY go together!

The poly bushings will make things a bit more bouncy, but not much. I personally don't like poly bushings, they deform and are noisy. Not to mention if you use the rear main trailing arm bushing it can cause "snap-back oversteer", not fun.

Raising the car will keep it form bottoming out, softening the dampeners should give it a smoother ride, and increasing the spring rate will make it much more bouncy. For a softer ride, soften up the shocks and lower the spring rate.

And yes once you do this it will have a negative effect on the cornering capability of your car, unless you're massively to low to begin with.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah. when people say poly bushings squeak, is that a bad thing? like on ur arms and rods and stuff?

i know a bumpy ride means bad on wheels and tires.

i never heard of poly bushings deforming before..hmm..will this happen if u have the bushings on a DD with ocassional rough roads?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
understand the difference

when a rubber bushing moves, its twisting the entire thing with it

on a poly, it simply twists in the middle

if not oiled/lubed properly during install, it squeaks BAD

energy suspension is usually generous on lubrication for their bushings

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Agreed, if they're lubed properly they won't squeak but you will need to check to make sure they stay lubed. Like I said I'm not a fan but they do have their place.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
^ yup, inner front control arm poly replacements are known to wear out FAST

just not the place for an aftermarket bushing it seems.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
I didn't have that problem....because after 2-3 years I pulled some Dukes Of Hazard stunt and bent both front LCA's and put stock ones back on :)

·
Registered
^^^^
2,129 Posts
I didn't have that problem....because after 2-3 years I pulled some Dukes Of Hazard stunt and bent both front LCA's and put stock ones back on :)
Jumping the homeless in a D like this? :D

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
I got more air than that.....when you can count to 3 after ramping of the embankment......not good.

Happened one week before N5 CRX meet, you can still see the mud on the RR.....which let me know on the trip the hub bearing wasn't happy :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it seems i didnt know much abt poly bushings hmm..i guess ill have to wait for install to actually experience and review it for myself. thanks guys! il remember to excessively lube during install.

·
Registered
480 Posts
whats the other choice besides poly? are there complete rubber replacement kits too? any suggestions?

Probably shouldn't put poly's on my DD? I'm redoing the whole suspension pretty much so i need all new bushings.

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
Agreed, if they're lubed properly they won't squeak but you will need to check to make sure they stay lubed. Like I said I'm not a fan but they do have their place.
What do you suggest for rear trailing arm bushings instead of poly?

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
they are noisy only if you install them WRONG
I just put mine in my car and mine have not made one noise since I installed them and I have put 75 miles on them and all the other stuff.

This is well worth the money and you will not be disapointed. They do drive stiffer and I mean alot harder/bouncier whatever but when you hit a turn you will not regret you did it..

TRUST ME

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
What do you suggest for rear trailing arm bushings instead of poly?
Hardrace or OEM (and yes you can get OEM bushings from Honda).

Look at the link I posted for the exact part number (Source of info, posted by Tinky).

The guy behind the counter won't be able to pull the P/N up, according to him you'll have to buy the whole rear trailing arm assembly. What he doesn't know is that Honda will allow their service department to order to bushing and install it themselves.

So if you give them the P/N that the service department would use it'll pop up! You can order it and install it yourself...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts